Cleaning Fossils

-EJ

Has anyone used a Dremel engraver to clean fossils? I found my first crinoid head and I don't know how to go about cleaning it. You can see the feather structures and all. I really don't want to ruin it. I've also got some ammonites that I've been chipping away at for years by hand.

Ed

I use a dremel, engraver, air scribe, and picks and chisles.

I have ruined many fossils using too much power or the wrong tool. something you think is delicate, I would use only hand tools like dental picks of screwdrivers. If you want to use a dremel, I would use low speeds.

I would practice on not so perfect fossils, just incase you do mess it up.

Hope that helps.

Guest solius symbiosus

^What he said. It is very easy to damage a piece using power tools. An engraver is good for removing matrix, but when close to the fossil, I would use hand tools.

How about a pic of the crinoid.

I just gave you great advise and then went out into my garage, started to prep an ammonite and broke it right off the matrix with my air scribe :D Wasnt a great piece, but still would have been a cool display. I guess thats what they make glue for.

Here it is... my first ever. I've found lots of stems but never a head and I really didn't find this. I'll do another post on the location of where this was found.

This is one side...

crinoid_2764.jpg

This is the other...

crinoid_1645.jpg

My friend could not understand my excitement.

ed

^What he said. It is very easy to damage a piece using power tools. An engraver is good for removing matrix, but when close to the fossil, I would use hand tools.

How about a pic of the crinoid.

Nice! If it were mine, I would not be going at it with a Dremel.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

For now I'm just going to plug away at it with a tooth brush... it is way too valuble to me.

Ed

Nice! If it were mine, I would not be going at it with a Dremel.

Guest solius symbiosus

Nice, it looks similar to some Ordovician crinoids I have been finding. If you don't have a blaster, something like a 22-25 ga. hypodermic needle will get in between the pinnules. They are hard, and can be sharpened using a fine mill b*****d.

Edited by Nicholas
inappropriate obscenity

You're talking greek to me... and I thought I knew it all...

It was found in Nashville.

First... what's a blaster... I'm guessing minute sand blaster. Can you explain further?

How does the hypo fit in?

The only b*****d I'm acquainted with is a file...

Man, you have managed to make me feel so ignorant in this very short post... it's actually kind of cool.

Ed

Nice, it looks similar to some Ordovician crinoids I have been finding. If you don't have a blaster, something like a 22-25 ga. hypodermic needle will get in between the pinnules. They are hard, and can be sharpened using a fine mill b*****d.
Edited by Nicholas
inappropriate obscenity

Guest Nicholas

Have you soaked it yet? Depending on the material soaking fossils in water can soften up a seemingly hard matrix making it much easier to chip away without using powered tools.

Yup... been doing that. When my friend showed it to me it looked like a lump of clay. The matrix is relatively soft.

Ed

Have you soaked it yet? Depending on the material soaking fossils in water can soften up a seemingly hard matrix making it much easier to chip away without using powered tools.

Guest solius symbiosus
First... what's a blaster... I'm guessing minute sand blaster. Can you explain further?

Yea, it is a micro-abrasive system ... kind of like a miniature sand blaster.

HERE is a link to one made by Crystal Mark.

How does the hypo fit in?

They make nice pics for getting into small places.

The only b*****d I'm acquainted with is a file...

Use the file to sharpen the hypos when they dull.

Edited by Nicholas
inappropriate obscenity

Thanks much...

I don't know why the last line made me laugh...

ed

Yea, it is a micro-abrasive system ... kind of like a miniature sand blaster.

HERE is a link to one made by Crystal Mark.

They make nice pics for getting into small places.

Use the file to sharpen the hypos when they dull.

As another newbie to prepping I have a couple of questions. First, for those who use Dremels, what bit do you use? I'm guessing the smaller metal engraving type cutter. Second, for Solius, why hypodermic needles instead of regular straight pins for example. Is it a hardness thing? Thankya

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

...why hypodermic needles instead of regular straight pins for example. Is it a hardness thing? Thankya

Harder, yes, and much stiffer.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I forgot, I used a steak knife the other day to clean matrix off a shell. Sharp and thin :D The wife didnt think it was a good idea :P

As for the bit type on a dremel, theres a ton to choose from. I usally use small diamond tips. I do the big removal stuff with my airscribe. Man If you do alot of prep work and dont have one of these babys, look into it!! My next piece will be a sandblaster. I have some trilos that need to be blasted.

Guest solius symbiosus
Harder, yes, and much stiffer.

... and they have chiseled edges rather than points.

I saw something, somewhere, where a geology professor hooked up a line from his compressor to the needle. It blows the debris away as you work. Seems kind of like a hassle. When I'm using needles, I'm doing the work under a scope. so, I just blow a puff of air.