Trilo

CreekCrawler

Hi there I was reading another thread about fake trilos and thought I'd post a few pics of the one I have.

I purchased it at a local reptile show from a kid who sells fossils while his dad sells snakes.

This was about 10-12 years ago. I tried the hot pin trick to see if there were some repairs and it seems solid.

Can one of you also ID this one for me.thanks for any input

post-417-1216329673_thumb.jpgpost-417-1216329703_thumb.jpg

Guest bmorefossil

im not good with trilobites so i cant help you with an id but i have a question. The trilo looks really shinny, does it have glue on it or something to make it shine?

im not good with trilobites so i cant help you with an id but i have a question. The trilo looks really shinny, does it have glue on it or something to make it shine?

Not sure bmore, it has had the shine since I bought it! I really don't know if the seller or preparer used something on it,but it is kinda shiny. I also used a flash if that matters.

thanks

Not sure bmore, it has had the shine since I bought it! I really don't know if the seller or preparer used something on it,but it is kinda shiny. I also used a flash if that matters.

thanks

yes i think its just the flash

From the photo you really can't tell. I look at the facets of the eyes. If it's a cast they are muddled... if it's a sculpture (which I don't think it is) the facets are non existant.

Ed

Hi there I was reading another thread about fake trilos and thought I'd post a few pics of the one I have.

I purchased it at a local reptile show from a kid who sells fossils while his dad sells snakes.

This was about 10-12 years ago. I tried the hot pin trick to see if there were some repairs and it seems solid.

Can one of you also ID this one for me.thanks for any input

post-417-1216329673_thumb.jpgpost-417-1216329703_thumb.jpg

Did the kid that sold it say anything about where it came from, etc.?

The prep marks look like Moroccan, or at least the way they did it 10 years ago (now the marks are much more aggressive). I don't think the fakery was as rampant a decade ago as it is now.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

The prep marks look like Moroccan, or at least the way they did it 10 years ago (now the marks are much more aggressive). I don't think the fakery was as rampant a decade ago as it is now.

When I bought this Trilo I didn't ask the seller any info. I just liked the way it looked.That's the way I roll! All I knew is that it would look great on my bookcase! I know most of y'all on the forum are way more into the genus/species thing ,but I'm not! A common name is usually all that I require. I have included a few pics in direct sunlight of the reverse where you can clearly see the scribe marks and the eyes.

thanks

Bpost-417-1216338596_thumb.jpgpost-417-1216338635_thumb.jpg

I assumed it was moroccan right off the bat. I've got some a friend asked me to sell for him and I'm embarrased to try and sell them.

There's a couple that I have that I know are fake but the artwork is fantastic.

Ed

Guest solius symbiosus

It looks real to me. It is some kind of proetid, but I'm not familiar with Moroccan trilobites.

...I just liked the way it looked.

I like the way it looks, too; it's a kick-a** trilobite, and no doubt graces your bookshelf quite well!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I would guess that it is real, based on the way that some of the damage that it has looks. The matrix surrounding the edges of the trilo appears to have been prettied up for presentation. My 2 cents.

Guest bmorefossil
When I bought this Trilo I didn't ask the seller any info. I just liked the way it looked.That's the way I roll! All I knew is that it would look great on my bookcase!

yea im the same way, if i see something i like and its in my price range ill buy it!!!

The second photo... a give away... I'm saying totally fake... not a single patch of facets in the eyes.

You have to admire the craftsmanship that went into it though. They are works of art if nothing else.

Ed

When I bought this Trilo I didn't ask the seller any info. I just liked the way it looked.That's the way I roll! All I knew is that it would look great on my bookcase! I know most of y'all on the forum are way more into the genus/species thing ,but I'm not! A common name is usually all that I require. I have included a few pics in direct sunlight of the reverse where you can clearly see the scribe marks and the eyes.

thanks

Guest solius symbiosus

^I've found trilobites without the lens structure intact, Too, it has FeO stains along the anterior margin.

I would guess that it is real, based on the way that some of the damage that it has looks. The matrix surrounding the edges of the trilo appears to have been prettied up for presentation. My 2 cents.

Yep Mike I was guessing that too! The matrix on the display side has been tampered with I'm sure. It just takes one look at the reverse to come to that conclusion. Front should look like back sort of thing! I'm going with genuine with a few repairs! And thats just peachy with me!

thanks

B

thanks

It's a Phacops corconspectans (africanus).

Guest N.AL.hunter

Just saw this.. the trilo is real. No doubt in my mind. Sure the eyes are not the best, but overall a nice specimen.

It looks like a phacops from Morocco. I would say its real. Just because there are no lens doesnt mean much. I use to know a guy who went to morocco quite a few times and he said he would see these poor people chisling out trilos with big nails and sharpend railroad spikes! Not only that, but there must be tons of trilos there that have not been fossilized in 'pristeen' condition over there?

RB

It looks like a phacops from Morocco. I would say its real. Just because there are no lens doesnt mean much. I use to know a guy who went to morocco quite a few times and he said he would see these poor people chisling out trilos with big nails and sharpend railroad spikes! Not only that, but there must be tons of trilos there that have not been fossilized in 'pristeen' condition over there?

RB

It's real, they just painted something on the top of the matrix to cover the scribe marks.I've looked at it more thoroughly lately under magnification and it's a solid trilo all the way around!

thanks

B