Fake Trilobites...

-EJ

I didn't want to hyjack the other dudes post...

These are the trilobites my friend asked me to sell. They are all doctored. Three of them I'm keeping because they are good and I like the history behind them.

This first one I believe is 3 different fossils pieced together to make one... not bad... really...

tr1180.jpg

This one is a partial fake... it's cleverly done.

tr2666.jpg

This one... if it was real would be worth about $40,000... which is why I like it... it does look good (no facets on the eyes)

tr4733.jpg

I don't even think this is a real trilobite... I can't find a reference for it...

tr3874.jpg

Ed

That last one is hilarious! Looks like it's wearing a 3-tank scuba rig. :P

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest Nicholas

I have a couple of fakes that game with a shipment of real trilos, I like them because if they are properly done they act as a nice representation and to me a "cast".

I need to take a shot of the side view of the last two... those spikes/tanks are quite ornamental... I still don't know that last one is not of a real form.

Ed

I need to take a shot of the side view of the last two... those spikes/tanks are quite ornamental... I still don't know that last one is not of a real form.

Ed

Hi Ed,

This trilobite is a real form .

It's a member of the Order Phacopida, Family Acastidae from the Devonian of Morocco known commercially as the Trident Comura.

It is theorized that the long, forked protrusion jutting out from the cephalon was used for stirring up the ocean floor as the creature scavenged for food. They were shallow-dwelling marine animals that crawled across the prehistoric ocean floors nearly 400 million years ago.

The trilobite was named Walliserops trifurcatus.

Subsequently had erected the genus Parabolops, with the long-forked trident being Parabolops neptunis and the short-forked Parabolops hammi. Some think the differences may be the result of sexual dimorphism. Radical differences between the sexes are common in Arthropods.

Nice and interestingf!

I went to Rocks and Fossils show twice and I saw some nice trilobites for reasonable price but I don't want to buy it because I don't know if its real or fake!

I remember somewhere in internet to discuss about how to tell fake trilobites is....

Look back to see if any tiny bubbles then its fake!

To know the rock that you might able to tell if its real rock or not.

Check dealer to see if he/she have other copy but might refuse to tell you! There's no two real fossils is the same!

I rather to go out to find my own trilobites!

Anything else we should know about fake fossils...thanks!

He's diving for shark teeth :D:D:rolleyes:

Would using a black light on suspect fossils be useful?

RAWR! I am zeee dead bobcat!

Would using a black light on suspect fossils be useful?

Blacklight can reveal repairs or reconstructions, but if it's all fake (or a composite) it won't help.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Guest bmorefossil

i still cant tell how the first one is a fake, i see that it has been repaired and i have never seen anything that color before but how can you really tell?

It is real but I think it is made up of pieces of different animals... I've read that it is common with this particular species from Morocco. I could very well be wrong.

Ed

i still cant tell how the first one is a fake, i see that it has been repaired and i have never seen anything that color before but how can you really tell?

Guest N.AL.hunter

This all brings up a point. Should we say that a trilobite is 'fake' if it is a composite from several different specimens to create one nice display piece? Isn't that what MOST dinosaur fossils in museums are (when they even display the real thing, which is rare). As long as it is displayed as a composite, I say it is real.

This all brings up a point. Should we say that a trilobite is 'fake' if it is a composite from several different specimens to create one nice display piece? Isn't that what MOST dinosaur fossils in museums are (when they even display the real thing, which is rare). As long as it is displayed as a composite, I say it is real.

I saw for sale once on a major fossil dealer's webpage a triceratops rib that had major reconstruction but it was done using a substance that was a different color so you could see what was restored. The bone had an amazing tiger stripe pattern on it and although it was at best only 60-70% original, it looked amazing. So, I say composites are fine if they are marked so and priced accordingly.

RAWR! I am zeee dead bobcat!

... As long as it is displayed as a composite, I say it is real.

Too many composites are sold without that disclosure. They are "real", but fall short of "genuine".

Is this the fossil, the whole fossil, and nothing but the fossil? For many legitimate applications, it doesn't matter. To me, as a collector, a composite has a fraction of the value of a whole, complete, original specimen.

how do you tell a fake from a real one i personely dident know there was fake trilos around ;)

a heckle a day keeps the doctor away

how do you tell a fake from a real one...

Simple: just send all your fossils to me, and I will return the fakes :P

Guest solius symbiosus
how do you tell a fake from a real one i personely dident know there was fake trilos around ;)

Do a Google search for "faked trilobites". Here is one site.

... EDIT: deleted..

Most fakes come from Morocco or China, so be especially wary of pieces coming from those places.