Bone Id Please

laios

• New Members

I found this bone half buried near a Pliocene fossil site in Evia island Greece . Is this something interesting or ex-lunch ?

post-68-1191755262_thumb.jpg

Hello, Laios . . .

Your bone reminds me of the distal portion of a radius, but we need to see the articular surface to know. If the incomplete end is uniformly truncated -- that is, if it is cut as with a saw, then it must have been lunch.

I'm not even certain of the scale in your image. Is that coin a Euro? ...a drachma? I cannot make out the details.

Post more images of the bone for more guesses. :)

---------Harry Pristis

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

• New Members

Thanks very much Harry for your resonse. The bone broke during the effort of digging out,it certainly isn't cut with a saw, the rest part is still in the ground,unfortunately i didn't had the time for more digging.I post some more photos.

thank you very much in advance

post-68-1191933831_thumb.jpg

post-68-1191933848_thumb.jpg

post-68-1191933859_thumb.jpg

post-68-1191933872_thumb.jpg

Here's a lower resolution pic for you Harry.

Do you believe, Anson, that I am the only member with a dial-up connection? I think that's probably not the case. I think that many potential contributors may simply skip over SHQ images (as do I) because they take too long to open. Even this HQ image that you posted overwhelms my 17" monitor screen so that I cannot see the whole image without scrolling.

--------Harry Pristis

What seest thou else

• New Members
Do you believe, Anson, that I am the only member with a dial-up connection? I think that's probably not the case. I think that many potential contributors may simply skip over SHQ images (as do I) because they take too long to open. Even this HQ image that you posted overwhelms my 17" monitor screen so that I cannot see the whole image without scrolling.

--------Harry Pristis

Sorry,about the incovenience ,i reduced the size of the photos.

I found this bone half buried near a Pliocene fossil site in Evia island Greece . Is this something interesting or ex-lunch ?

post-68-1191755262_thumb.jpg

Hello, Laios . . .

I was able to see these images, thanks. This bone appears to be the proximal portion of a radius, and it is one that I think I recognize.

I think this is a horse, which is the most common radius in my collection. I've posted an image of the distal portion of a horse radius for comparison. This individual horse specimen in my image is very large.

It appears to be a bone from a fair-size animal, so there are limited possibilities on an island in the Mediterranean.

You may want to take your bone to a museum to use a comparative collection. Even a local large-animal clinic may have a study collection of bones. Let us know what you find out.

--------Harry Pristis

post-42-1191950833_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

What seest thou else