Arrowheads In Florida

Major

Hey guys, I've been hovering around for quite a while now just watching the forum.. Sitting back and studying. Looks like I may have a chance to hunt in Gainesville again tomorrow, and I know about the bugs/spiders/snakes etc- truthfully don't care, either- been too long since I've had a chance to hunt.

On to my question. When collecting fossils here in Florida, if one were to stumble over artifacts (ie, a pottery shard, arrowhead, etc) what are the laws encompassing them? Is it illegal to take them from a creek, lake, etc?

Thanks a bunch guys.

~Major

Turok1copy.png

Hey guys, I've been hovering around for quite a while now just watching the forum.. Sitting back and studying. Looks like I may have a chance to hunt in Gainesville again tomorrow, and I know about the bugs/spiders/snakes etc- truthfully don't care, either- been too long since I've had a chance to hunt.

On to my question. When collecting fossils here in Florida, if one were to stumble over artifacts (ie, a pottery shard, arrowhead, etc) what are the laws encompassing them? Is it illegal to take them from a creek, lake, etc?

Thanks a bunch guys.

~Major

If you are on private property with the landowner's written permission, you can remove artifacts. If you are state land (rivers, lakes, etc) you cannot remove artifacts, doing so is a third degree misdemeanor and carries a hefty fine.

If you are on private property with the landowner's written permission, you can remove artifacts. If you are state land (rivers, lakes, etc) you cannot remove artifacts, doing so is a third degree misdemeanor and carries a hefty fine.

Exactly what I was looking for. IF I ever come across any, then, outside of private property, I'm not even going to touch it. lol

Thanks, PrehistoricFlorida!

~Major

Turok1copy.png