Roanoke River

Northern Sharks

Can someone please tell me which formation would be at the bottom of the Roanoke River in NC -Yorktown, Eastover, other?????

I recently bought a meg tooth, or possibly a late chubutensis, from a diver and would like to label it properly. Thanks in advance

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Thanks. That's the map I was looking for.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Vertebrate remains from the Roanoke for the most part come from a narrow band at the base of the Rushmere Member of the Yorktown Formation which sits directly on top of Cretaceous sediments (Black Creek Fm.?). This layer is a lag deposit representing everything between the Rushmere and the Cretaceous that was eroded and then redeposited in the Pliocene. The Rushmere itself is vertebrate poor, although I did see a section of whale jaw removed from the Rushmere on the Roanoke a couple of weeks ago. Knowing the geology of the area, the tooth probably originated in Zone 1 Sunken Meadow Member of the Yorktown Formation (Lower Pliocene) or the Eastover Formation (Upper Pliocene). Teeth that I have collected in-situ from the Roanoke I labeled "Mio-Pliocene Lag Deposit from the base of the Rushmere Member, Yorktown Formation".

Edited by MikeR

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

Hello Major,

Thanks for posting that link. I can make good use of that.

Bobby

Looks like it's mostly Yorktown, though it includes Cape Fear and Riverbend. Although I don't live in NC, I'd bet that it's Yorktown.

Source:

http://gis.enr.state...396&height=2154

~Major

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - Confucius

Ask and you shall receive. You can't get more descriptive than that. Excellent reply.

Vertebrate remains from the Roanoke for the most part come from a narrow band at the base of the Rushmere Member of the Yorktown Formation which sits directly on top of Cretaceous sediments (Black Creek Fm.?). This layer is a lag deposit representing everything between the Rushmere and the Cretaceous that was eroded and then redeposited in the Pliocene. The Rushmere itself is vertebrate poor, although I did see a section of whale jaw removed from the Rushmere on the Roanoke a couple of weeks ago. Knowing the geology of the area, the tooth probably originated in Zone 1 Sunken Meadow Member of the Yorktown Formation (Lower Pliocene) or the Eastover Formation (Upper Pliocene). Teeth that I have collected in-situ from the Roanoke I labeled "Mio-Pliocene Lag Deposit from the base of the Rushmere Member, Yorktown Formation".

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - Confucius

Thanks. If you haven't seen it yet, I have more on the Roanoke in my blog http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php/blog/101/entry-157-yorktown-formation-zone-2-rushmere-member/

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

Eastover formation is late Miocene

Eastover formation is late Miocene

You are correct. That was a typo on my part and a failure to proof read.--Mike