Sometimes You Really Want To Know How Old It Is...

tracer

Especially if you find more than one jaw on the same gravel bar, and especially if one of the tooth sockets is easily big enough to stick your thumb down in, and you're right by the edge of the water, and you're slowly reaching down to pick up the cool jaw to look and...

I mean, what if it's not old, and it had friends...

post-488-1216596738_thumb.jpg

...I mean, what if it's not old, and it had friends...

What if it's not old, and something bigger and badder ate him?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest bmorefossil

well i would pick it up and run!!! lol i would love to have a jaw that you could fit your finger into!!! fossil or not

What if it's not old, and something bigger and badder ate him?

Yikes! I was working from the assumption that there isn't anything bigger and badder left, but you never know. By the way, there have been Bigfoot sightings in my part of the country.

Guest bmorefossil
there have been Bigfoot sightings in my part of the country.

where havent there been bigfoot sightings (= i think there were some sightings of bigfoot in new york city

where havent there been bigfoot sightings (= i think there were some sightings of bigfoot in new york city

Put this on your calendar: http://eastcoastbigfootconference.weebly.com/

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Guest solius symbiosus

A few questions. How many people a year are attacked by man eating critters in Fla? Have any fossil hunters been attacked? Can you shoot them if they get close? And, do you all pack side arms while you are hunting down there? ;)

It looks like a Aligator or Crocodile Jaw.

Definition of a fossil= Love at first site.

Have any fossil hunters been attacked? Can you shoot them if they get close? And, do you all pack side arms while you are hunting down there? ;)

...I've never found fossil hunters to be all that threatening. :P

Speaking of fossils how old does something have to be to be a fossil???????

Definition of a fossil= Love at first site.

For me, the big answer is that it has to be prehistoric; being an extinct form is not requisite, but that keeps it out of the grey area.

Guest solius symbiosus

I saw a definition somewhere the other day that went something like.

1) It had to be alive

2) It has to be dead

3) It had to be buried

4) it has to have some of the elements relpaced by minerals

But that won't cover it. I've seen 450ma original material. It has hard to define what a fossil is; it is much easier to define what a fossil isn't.

In all such debates, one has to first define one's terms. I trend toward relying on "authorities" to do so. The problem there is, what sort of authority? An authority on "fossils" or an authority on defining of terms. So what the heck - I'm going with Merriam-Webster... "a remnant, impression, or trace of an organism of past geologic ages that has been preserved in the earth's crust".

So going with that, for me, it had to be once living, covered up for a while, and 10K ybp or better. My definition may not be correct, but it's mine, and it's at least more legitimate sounding than my preferred definition, which would be anything I find that is cool and doesn't look new. An example of that would be the fossil old-style Coke bottles that are small and have the city and state embossed on the bottom.

Guest N.AL.hunter

Definition of a fossil!! Not again!!

The last one would negate all preserved cave fossils that are dessicated remains.

Therefore, the official N.AL.Hunter definition is:

"Any remains or evidence of a past living organism that has been preserved by natural means and no longer has active decomposition taking place."

Preserved by natural means: Petrification, dessication, silicification, Calcification, embedded in Amber, Frozen, Permeated with a natural preserving liquid like tar, mold or cast, cabonization, deep underwater/anaerobic preservation ... I am sure more could be added.

My two cents again (I am running out of money!)

Especially if you find more than one jaw on the same gravel bar, and especially if one of the tooth sockets is easily big enough to stick your thumb down in, and you're right by the edge of the water, and you're slowly reaching down to pick up the cool jaw to look and...

I mean, what if it's not old, and it had friends...

post-488-1216596738_thumb.jpg

You did take it home, right?

RAWR! I am zeee dead bobcat!

You did take it home, right?

....and dig up that other bone that is peeking out under the roots to the bottom right?

....and dig up that other bone that is peeking out under the roots to the bottom right?

DANG! Now I have to go back...and that place was really annoying to get to...