Plant Fossils?

Petrified

Here are some of my recent finds of fossils. I dont know what they are though ,any help would be much obliged.

post-621-1216598356_thumb.jpg

post-621-1216598382_thumb.jpg

post-621-1216598397_thumb.jpg

post-621-1216598408_thumb.jpg

post-621-1216598427_thumb.jpg

post-621-1216598434_thumb.jpg

Definition of a fossil= Love at first site.

The second and third pic are the same rock. The second pic is the top and third pic is inside. The rock broke in half and it has some fascinating colors inside.

Guest bmorefossil

you got some very nice stuff there, where were they found and what is the age of the formation they were found in?

The first pic looks like a section of a Horsetail (equistem) what age are these rocks?

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Im not very good at figuring out history of fossils just good at finding em lol. I think these are all Pennsylvanian.

Heres the rock whole from the 2nd and 3rd pic.

post-621-1216600026_thumb.jpg

Looks like PA "coal swamp" stuff, but probably river transport/deposition, given the caorse sand matrix.

The last item is interesting, but too dark; can you brighten it up? Also, add something for scale.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Whats really neat about this one is it looks like the insect or something exploded. If you observe the whole rock it looks like blood or guts on it too. These are all from the coal swamp area.

post-621-1216601932_thumb.jpg

Whats really neat about this one is it looks like the insect or something exploded. If you observe the whole rock it looks like blood or guts on it too.

I've heard of a bombardier beetle, but... :P

Seriously though, I wish I had that one in my hand & under a lens. Not to get your hopes up ('cause I just can't tell enough from the picture), but I can't completely rule out seedfern fruit. Take the best & brightest close up you can.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Heres a couple closeups for ya.

post-621-1216603822_thumb.jpg

post-621-1216603828_thumb.jpg

Oh man, those are great pics, and I just don't know! The first 15 years of my fossiling were spent mostly in the Pennsylvanian, too (McKean Co., PA). That one needs to be looked at.

I just realized that if you blow it up and rotate it clockwise about 120 degrees, then squint, it looks like a tiny little alien. :P

I dont know what it is but Im finding all kinds of fossils at my parents land. They own 2 acres and there are some really cool looking fossils there. The weird part is the sandstone even has fossils on em. I found a really neat looking fossil with a huge variety of things on it a few months ago. It had planolites, spiorbis, brachiopods, some kind of leafs, and a few other things.

Sounds like an estuarian river delta, if all that is actually from the same stratum.

heres another fossil Im not sure of.

post-621-1216607046_thumb.jpg

Guest solius symbiosus

That also looks like a Calamites.

Auspex, from my understanding, all of the Upper Carboniferous sandstones, on the East Coast were deltaic deposits. I have an old USGS paper somewhere that describes the formation of the lobes of that ancient river.

If memory serves me, on the other side of the mountains, in what is now the British Isles, There was a desert that deposited the "Old Red Sandstone".

Thx for the info. I dont know much about fossils at all. All I know is what is climate made and what is a fossil. The rest well Ill leave upto all you guys and gals. :D

Auspex, from my understanding, all of the Upper Carboniferous sandstones, on the East Coast were deltaic deposits. I have an old USGS paper somewhere that describes the formation of the lobes of that ancient river.

On and all around my property in N.W. PA, this sort of deposit is interlayered with marine material of finer matrix(brachs, trilos, etc...). Never did find a stratum with any combination of both; it was either all terrestrial plant or all brachs/trilos (and darn few trilos).

What is deltaic deposit?

Laid down in a river delta.

^^Those are called cyclothems

Thanks! Wikipedia wouldn't load from that link, but I'll pursue it. I always assumed it was due to fluctuating sea levels.

Thx.

Are cyclothems considered fossils or nature caused rocks?