Plant Fossils?

Petrified

They are sedimentary strata resulting from a geological process.

See: http://people.hofstra.edu/j_b_bennington/r...cyclothems.html

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Another fossil Im curious on. I know im probably annoying ya alls now lol. Forgive me but it bothers me when i dont know something lol.

post-621-1216610653_thumb.jpg

Definition of a fossil= Love at first site.

Can't make out much from the pic; is it like parallel ruts? Could it be a fragment of Sigilaria?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

I'd label it "plant material". B)

thx couple more then Im done for the day lol. Ill settle down with all the post lol.

post-621-1216612741_thumb.jpg

Guest solius symbiosus

If it is Pennsylvanian, and there is no identifiable structure, I usually call it "woody material".

the first pic of the first page is not calamites its bark pattern of Sigillaria. I also found another fossil at my parents and there are alot of these there. At first i wasnt sure but now I am. These are called leaves of cordaites.

post-623-1217327029_thumb.jpg

Guest solius symbiosus

The ridges appear to be too close together to be one of the inner barks of a lycopsid. I'm thinking they had 7 different layers, with each layer becoming less characteristic of the proceeding layer. Where did you get the ID for Sigillaria?

i got the Id for sigillaria from WV plant fossils. Some of the plant fossils of WV Im finding at my parents land. Im not really understanding this but they are labeled Pennsylvanian Period. heres a better pic of them leaves for ya too.

post-623-1217345436_thumb.jpg

Guest solius symbiosus

That is Cordaites. The Pennsylvanian is a period of Geologic Time. In Europe, it is the Upper Carboniferous. The sandstones that make up the Valley and Ridge province of the Appalachians were deposited during Pennsylvanian time.