Fossil Storage

MakoMeCrazy

I was just wondering how you guys store/organize you fossil collection. Do you guys use like a "Drawer Plastic Parts Storage Hardware and Craft Cabinet" or shoe boxes? or I don't know outside space...? Big plastic containers? I have a bunch of shark teeth/ smaller fossils that could easily fit in an individual slot cabinet, but I was just wondering what everyone else uses to store their cool stuff. Thanks!

Fossilz,

Many people use Riker Mounts for shark teeth.

Some people just put them into interesting glass jars.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I know that tracer stores a fair percentage of his right where he found them. The rest (except for a few oysters) his son "stores" for him...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

the biggest stuff is thrown out in the yard. if it's "special", it's near the front door where i can see it sometimes. little stuff is in those divided compartment plastic box thingees like people put bolts and washers and stuff in. heavy stuff in small pieces is in buckets in the garage or in "my room", depending on its relative worth or reference value. "good stuff" is in tj's room, in various types of display containers, ranging from riker mounts to oak display cases. miscellaneous other junk is in cardboard boxes, "fishing tackle"-type containers, etc. some stuff is just laying around in various locations. or in drawers. or sitting on the desk or credenza or side table or cabinet tops in my office. but most of the stuff, like auspex said, is still sitting where i last saw it in the field, unless somebody else picked it up. i've tried to keep all this stuff in perspective since tj and i were very nearly killed one time a coupla years back while we were going back to get a fossil i'd had second thoughts about leaving in the field.

the desire to acquire needs to have an off-switch...

but i'm always on the lookout for the largest, most perfect exogyra ponderosa on the planet. bragging rights to that would be the bomb.

It depends. The big stuff is in the yard or the garage. Plastic shoe boxes and cardboard boxes hold a lot of stuff until I can get it organized better and into nice displays (one of these days).

the biggest stuff is thrown out in the yard. if it's "special", it's near the front door where i can see it sometimes. little stuff is in those divided compartment plastic box thingees like people put bolts and washers and stuff in. heavy stuff in small pieces is in buckets in the garage or in "my room", depending on its relative worth or reference value. "good stuff" is in tj's room, in various types of display containers, ranging from riker mounts to oak display cases. miscellaneous other junk is in cardboard boxes, "fishing tackle"-type containers, etc. some stuff is just laying around in various locations. or in drawers. or sitting on the desk or credenza or side table or cabinet tops in my office. but most of the stuff, like auspex said, is still sitting where i last saw it in the field, unless somebody else picked it up. i've tried to keep all this stuff in perspective since tj and i were very nearly killed one time a coupla years back while we were going back to get a fossil i'd had second thoughts about leaving in the field.

the desire to acquire needs to have an off-switch...

but i'm always on the lookout for the largest, most perfect exogyra ponderosa on the planet. bragging rights to that would be the bomb.

Ok, thank you for sharing your views on storage. I think in the future I will buy a few riker mounts. Not exactly that advanced in my hunting collection. I went with a screw or bolt storage organizer container. Once I get a few more pristine shark teeth, I'll make a riker mount show case thing. Than you!

Sometimes you can find map cabinets on ebay.

post-1906-0-70250200-1313704668_thumb.jpgpost-1906-0-91695100-1313704624_thumb.jpgpost-1906-0-38752200-1313704705_thumb.jpg

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

Sometimes you can find map cabinets on ebay.

post-1906-0-70250200-1313704668_thumb.jpgpost-1906-0-91695100-1313704624_thumb.jpgpost-1906-0-38752200-1313704705_thumb.jpg

wow that's amazing! I don't have quite that many...in the future I will.

A while back there was a discussion "Show us your showcases" and it is still viewable. Here is the link Showcase discussion

Lots of great ideas for displaying and storing fossils.

crinus

Awesome tons of great ideas! Thanks!