Books

missmary49

i got the audubon field guide, its kinda nice, pretty vauge photos tho, but nice. i know there are so many variations of one type of fossil, its hard to get an appropriate representation.

Back when I had problems getting out collecting I read a lot at the last count just in books it was around twohunder and twenty five have yet to count the PDF's and other printouts. Books are almost as much fun collecting as fossils (almost)

I don't have a favorite book I like them all. B)

Had a bittersweet weekend. Took my daughter ( the love of my life) to begin her college career at Penn State. Proud would be an understatement.

While I was there, for two days, we wandered the campus and local town. I've never been on a college campus before. Saw a sign," used books" to make a long story short, $300.00 dollars and two hours later my wife and daughter had to drag me and my 40 lbs of purchases out of there. Kind of cute though, got to the counter to check out and the girl looked at me and said, "Geo/Science major? I'm soon to be 56. Had to laugh.

If you have such a store near by, pay it a visit. It is an absolute treasure trove of great books. Not cheap but wow, everything and anything on the Geo/Paleo science topics. Gotta get back to reading, bye.

Must be a very young 56 :D:D

The PSU campus is very nice - especially in the spring with all the flowering trees around campus. Also, I think they play some game with that oblong ball in some nearby large open building :rolleyes:

Two books trhat I believe are absolutely essential for the invertebrate fossil collector are "Index Fossils of North America" by Shimer and Shrock, and "Invertebrate Fossils" by Moore, Lalicker, and Fischer. Also purchase every volume of the"Treatise of Invertebrate Paleontology" you can afford.

JKFoam

Yes, I agree with JK, those are two essentials - here are a couple of others for the vertebrate folks:

The Dinosauria - Weishampel, Dodson & Osmolska

The AMNH's Book of Dinosaurs - Jospeh Wallace

Vertebrate Paleontology - Romer (essential reference for the vert person)

Vertebrate Paleontology & Evolution - Carroll (updating of Romer - also essential)

The Practical Paleontologist - Steve Parker (one of the best beginner's guides ever published)

The Dinosaur Society's Dinosaur Encyclopedia - Lessum & Glut

At a university or even a juco bookstore, pick up a used Historical Geology textbook - they are excellent for understanding the context of all fossils. Also at many regular book stores you can pick up the Roadside Geology of <your state> an excellent text giving the geology of your state as exposed along your state's highway system. Finally haunt Half Price Books and Records for good used copies of paleo and geology texts.

Finally - JK said <<Also purchase every volume of the"Treatise of Invertebrate Paleontology" you can afford>> I would go a bit more devious. . . "have purchased for you every good text that your grown children can afford" !! That is how I built my library, I listed texts that I wanted and lo and behold, Christmas, Birthday, Fathers Day. . these texts magically appeared as gifts!!!

Good luck - sorry for posting this so late after your origial question. I am new to the forum and am just now exploring certain areas.

Roger