Does Anyone Know What This Is?

oceanblue

Looks like a Trilobite, but I have to question its authenticity.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

It is the trilobite Psychopyge elegans however, being one of the more ornate species, it is more likely to be a fake. Real ones of this species are quite rare. North Africa could be Morocco, which would also fit in with the questionable authenticity.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

• New Members

Thankyou for all your help. Looks like it is a fake then! It does appear to be set in a real rock rather than some sort of resin.Maybe I'll try sawing it a bit. If nothing else this has now got me reading up on fake fossils which is quite interesting. I did not realise what big business it is in some places or the lengths people go to create fakes. I suppose fake fossils can be of interest as long as it is clear that that is what they are but personally I only like genuine fossils because it is like holding ancient history.

Lots of the fakes are actually carved from a block of matrix, sawing will only show that the matrix is either genuine or resin. Unless you saw the fossil itself.

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.

Before you do any sawing, try some non-destructive tests first. Look for small burst bubbles on the trilobite (a sign of resin), check it with a blacklight (repairs will glow different than original mat'l), a hot pin will also detect resin. Also, check the individual lenses in the eyes, fakes will be smooth with no lenses while a legitimate bug will show dozens of small lenses similar to a fly. If it's a legit piece, it's worth a fair bit of $, so don't assume it's fake and butcher it.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

My point exactly, unless you saw the Trilo' and destroy it, sawing the matrix can only prove whether the Matrix is real or not.

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.