Fossil Shells

Vincent Hayes

so...how can i tell if a sea shell is fossilizedor not?

and if fossilized, what is the best way to date it and ID it?

so...how can i tell if a sea shell is fossilizedor not?

and if fossilized, what is the best way to date it and ID it?

Living in Florida my whole life, I know somewhat about fossil inverts.

normally if it's fossilized it will be heavier than a normal shell, it will also have only one or maybe two colors in it. It will be the same colors as the rocks around it. I honestly have no Idea on how to date fossils. The best way to ID it is as easy as ID'ing shells you find on a beach. You can also post in the Fossil forum if you can't find the species ;)

Happy Hunting

"Re-living History, one piece at a time..."

Living in Florida my whole life, I know somewhat about fossil inverts.

normally if it's fossilized it will be heavier than a normal shell, it will also have only one or maybe two colors in it. It will be the same colors as the rocks around it. I honestly have no Idea on how to date fossils. The best way to ID it is as easy as ID'ing shells you find on a beach. You can also post in the Fossil forum if you can't find the species ;)

Happy Hunting

Well, i found a shell almost as ig as my hand. I thought it was a rock because it looks and sounds and feels like one, but its comepletely in the shape of a shell. No way it can be a rock. I need to resize the pic to pose it here. What size do i have to make it again?

Anyways, this should be pretty cool. B)

...What size do i have to make it again?

Jpeg, 72ppi, 850 pixels largest dimension will do the trick.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Well, i found a shell almost as ig as my hand. I thought it was a rock because it looks and sounds and feels like one, but its comepletely in the shape of a shell. No way it can be a rock. I need to resize the pic to pose it here. What size do i have to make it again?

Anyways, this should be pretty cool. B)

Even thought it's the exact shape of a shell, it still could be fossilized. I can't wait to see your pictures :)

"Re-living History, one piece at a time..."