Pleistocene Whatzits

tracer

Piece of a Giant Armadillo Scute?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

You found giant armadillo osteoderms Holmesina c.f. septentrionalis. It is always fun to find Pleistocene vert material that can be nailed down to an extinct genus as most of the material I encounter amounts to rolled and abraded fragments of who knows what. What state did you hunt in?

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Piece of a Giant Armadillo Scute?

You get my vote on this one too!!! B)B)B):D

It's my bone!!!

You found giant armadillo osteoderms Holmesina c.f. septentrionalis. It is always fun to find Pleistocene vert material that can be nailed down to an extinct genus as most of the material I encounter amounts to rolled and abraded fragments of who knows what. What state did you hunt in?

I thought that's what the one on the right was but wasn't sure about the one on the left. They're more E. Texas river stuff.

Speaking of Pleistocene indentifications, does any one have any suggestions on a in depth guide or listing for identification?

Brian Evans

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

Speaking of Pleistocene indentifications, does any one have any suggestions on a in depth guide or listing for identification?

For Mastodon & Mammoth, "Papers of the Peabody Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology, number 3, The American Mastodon and the Wolly Mammoth" is about as deep as it can get. If you can't find just that paper, it was also published in Osteology for the Archaeologist Volume 56, which includes #4 (N. Am. Birds, Skulls and Mandibles) and #5 (N. Am. Birds, Postcranial Skeletons).

Here's an Amazon link:

http://www.amazon.com/Osteology-Archaeolog...s/dp/0873651979

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

For Mastodon & Mammoth, "Papers of the Peabody Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology, number 3, The American Mastodon and the Wolly Mammoth" is about as deep as it can get. If you can't find just that paper, it was also published in Osteology for the Archaeologist Volume 56, which includes #4 (N. Am. Birds, Skulls and Mandibles) and #5 (N. Am. Birds, Postcranial Skeletons).

Here's an Amazon link:

http://www.amazon.com/Osteology-Archaeolog...s/dp/0873651979

Thank for the info and the link.

Brian

Brian Evans

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.