Mystery Tooth (?)

Auspex

I got this in a bag of small shark's teeth, labeled "Collected from Central Florida creeks - Hawthorne Clay Formation - Mid Miocene". It's 1 1/16", and seems mammal-like, but I can't place it. Someone here will probably know right off.

Thanks!

post-423-1216940787_thumb.jpg

post-423-1216940800_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I got this in a bag of small shark's teeth, labeled "Collected from Central Florida creeks - Hawthorne Clay Formation - Mid Miocene". It's 1 1/16", and seems mammal-like, but I can't place it. Someone here will probably know right off.

Thanks!

Second picture makes it look like dolphin to me. It's certainly big.

Besides fossils,

I collect roadcuts,

Stream beds,

Winter beaches:

Places of pilgrimage.

Jasper Burns, Fossil Dreams

Second picture makes it look like dolphin to me. It's certainly big.

You may be right. The thing is so much deeper than it is wide, and has such a pronounced curve, plus an oddly shaped root; it's just very different than what I'm familiar with.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

yup dolphin

Hi Chas,

Looks like Dolfin to me. Does it have deep cuts like Squalodon teeth? Your pics are a bit dark.

I attached a pic of some Belgium Squalodon teeth fragments of mine.

Rgds,

Arjen

post-312-1216988929_thumb.jpg

...Your pics are a bit dark.

Rgds,

Arjen

Sorry 'bout that! No cuts, cusps, serrations; just very faint longitudinal "wrinkley" striations along the inside of the curve. Here it is with the bright & contrast bumped up:

post-423-1216991547_thumb.jpg

Dolphin it is then; thanks all!

Guest bmorefossil
Question, what would you say this one is ? Squalodon too ! :unsure::unsure:B)B)B):D

i cant really tell from the picture, could be squalodon