Meg Posterior?

Serack

In my short experience I have never seen a meg with honkin serrations like this, and the tooth is very small at that. When I first picked it up I thought it was a very large Galeocerdo because of the nick on the one side, but after looking at it more closely I figured that the blade edge's serrations were too large, and the bourlette made me think Meg, but I've never seen one with serrations like this so I thought I'd post to see if there is any possibility of something else odd that I am not aware of.

if not, it's still an interesting specimen

I included a pic with other megs for comparison of serrations.

Edit: oops didn't realize the first pic was so big, I didn't take the pic with my camera. I'll post 2 smaller ones.

post-462-1217108750_thumb.jpg

here we go. still not as small as I like for pics like this but...

bah the flash hid the other posterior's serrations. I'm done with that cam.

post-462-1217109128_thumb.jpg

post-462-1217109159_thumb.jpg

When looking at the picture initially I thought Galeocerdo cuvier, but when you look at it closer it sure does look like a Posterior Meg. Good catch.

Besides being big, those serrations are a different shape: much more of a "V" notch, and without the little "valley" running up into the blade....

Still, it's a deformed tooth, and the odd serrations may be part of that pathology.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

In my short experience I have never seen a meg with honkin serrations like this, and the tooth is very small at that. When I first picked it up I thought it was a very large Galeocerdo because of the nick on the one side, but after looking at it more closely I figured that the blade edge's serrations were too large, and the bourlette made me think Meg, but I've never seen one with serrations like this so I thought I'd post to see if there is any possibility of something else odd that I am not aware of.

if not, it's still an interesting specimen

I included a pic with other megs for comparison of serrations.

Edit: oops didn't realize the first pic was so big, I didn't take the pic with my camera. I'll post 2 smaller ones.

No doubt - meg all the way. The serrations are of a little different morphology but nothing that different in my 3 cent opinion. Nice little posterior meg!! :D:D

Guest bmorefossil

hey auspex i looked at the first picture again and it looks a little damaged, what do you think?

hey auspex i looked at the first picture again and it looks a little damaged, what do you think?

There's definitely some damage, but the area between the chipped/cracked spot and the tip also looks deformed. I wonder whether one thing led to the other?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest bmorefossil

could be there are some relations to deformed and damaged teeth, but which came first the chicken or the egg lol

Besides being big, those serrations are a different shape: much more of a "V" notch, and without the little "valley" running up into the blade....

Still, it's a deformed tooth, and the odd serrations may be part of that pathology.

great description of the serrations, couldn't have done that better myself. pretty much epitomizes why I thought it was an odd tooth, thanks auspex