James Island,sc

scalgae

• New Members

Im not new to SC but do enjoy the history and seashell/shark teeth on the beaches. Have recently been reading up on the Megladons and reading forums. I have been walking the creeks in summerville with only a few small teeth, maybe 1/4" long if that, Im wondering if anyone can help stear me to somewhere where I can find at least one larger one to get my addiction satisfied so I dont get sour on it. Any help would be appreciated.

Tom

Firstly, let me welcome you to the forum!! Second, you live in an area that boasts an abundance of fossils. Your two best chances at finding teeth on and around J.I. is to scout out the exposed deposits along the rivers and the harbor. I'm not sure what it's current name is, but the park formerly known as Sunrise Park has occasionally produced some nice teeth for me. Also, if you have access to a kayak or jon boat, Morris Island has some incredibly rich deposits...I've heard of everything from megalodon to mastodon being found on the beach.

Good luck, and let me know if your ever looking for a hunting partner - I usually stick to the Mt. P side of the harbor.

CBK

First and foremost I think one needs to develop a fossil frame of mind. We know Coastal SC is fossil rich and we know the Chandler Bridge formation runs underneath the overburden. We know the rivers, and we have quite a few, cut through the overburden. We know that water seeks low ground. We know the creeks also cut through the over burden. We know heavy construction machinery exposes the fossiliferous strata of the earth. If you are in coastal SC then you should know there are fossils directly beneath you. The problem, or should I say fun of it is, finding a way to get to the fossils. We don't look for soil or ordinary dirt, we look for limestone, marl, river gravel beds, prehistoric bone bits and pieces, petrified wood.... all indicators that you are getting closer to the treasure. Learn to recognize the type of soil you should be looking for. Learn to recognize the characteristics of fossilized material. Do research and get out and HUNT! Virgin sites produce the best. I suggest you start with creeks and the edges of the Edisto river. LEARN alligator behavior <<<< MANDATORY.

Give this guy some money and go fossil hunting with him and learn all you can about territory and soil. He has made giant strides over the years.

Lowcountry Fossil Excursions

Good luck and have fun!