Any Ideas

dr heckle

i found these in a sandstone boulder high in calcium no idea as to an age as fossils were found in aboulder next a cliff and were out of context had a look and couldent find any clear index fossils either i think they came from fairly high up in the cliff about 5 meters above the ground.

ive found at least half a dozen whole specimens rangeing in quality from good to poor and at least 15 chunks and peices of much larger fossils of the same kind.post-587-1217330021_thumb.jpgpost-587-1217330119_thumb.jpgpost-42-1196621821_thumb.jpgpost-587-1217330256_thumb.jpg

post-587-1217330179_thumb.jpg

a heckle a day keeps the doctor away

Some of them appear to be steinkerns of turitella[/i, found similar recently in some Cretaceous material, although have seen similar in Ordovician.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

Where is the cliff? Maybe someone here can flesh-out the ID with a little more to go on.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Gastropods!

Last picture could be Clathrodrillia or Goniobasis or Loxonema.

First and second picture is hard to tell and maybe its Trochonema

But need to know where you find it and we able to find out the age of the rock for identifying a fossil!

Guest solius symbiosus

Trochonema sp. died out in the Dev. those look like Cenozoic fossils.

As Ordovician noted, with over 600 million years af gastropod fossils to chose from, without knowing the period, or location, an ID would be difficult.

they are from east gippsland victoria in australia thanks for the help unfortunately i am unable to date the rock, unfortunately it came down from somwhere in the cliff face during a large storm and i havent been able to locate the exact area of cliff face that it came from however if its any help i have also found specimens of a lesser quality littered alondg the nearby lake bank where they have been weathered out of realy hard sand stone sorry i cant be of much help

a heckle a day keeps the doctor away

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

hmm im not too familiar with victorian fossils, although i do know that the rocks around a lot* of the seacliffs are from younger periods such as Oligocene, Miocene ect. East Gippsland does seem to be characterised by Devonian rocks http://museumvictoria.com.au/prehistoric/f...s/devonian.html

"In Victoria, rocks of Devonian age occur in the east-central part of the state (including the outer eastern suburbs of Melbourne and the Kinglake district), West Gippsland (e.g. the Walhalla district), and East Gippsland (e.g. the Buchan district). The Devonian sequences are rich in fossils, including corals, brachiopods, sea stars, trilobites, gastropods and bivalves."

Your gastropods do resemble similar ones to the Permian 'Keenia' and 'Persuvapis"(Spelling)

What type of rock is it? Edit: just re-read your post....im not too sure, you could always email the musem with those pictures, they might be able to help.

Are you living in vic?

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

They look to me as some Miocene examples I have in my collection.The type of matrix is quite similar, and the cast of that gasteropods are very similar.In my opinion, no Paleozoic, but Caenozoic ! :P