Ocala Limestone

Major

Here in Ocala, we don't exactly have any locations to hunt like Gainesville or the Santa Fe. We do, however, have plenty of limestone, which allows me to, once in a while, reach down and pick up an echinoid or two [usually Oligopygus sp.]. I'm assuming (because I have not purchased a geologic map) that this limestone is of the Ocala limestone formation.

If this is true, and fossils are regularly found in, say, the Santa Fe that are of the Ocala limestone formation, why do I only ever find foraminiforms and echinoids?

Is there any specific reason other than I'm not looking hard enough? Could the Santa Fe have eaten further into the formation than I can find, perhaps?

Just a curious question. biggrin.gif

~Major

P.S. Sorry to bug you, Harry! happy.gif

Turok1copy.png

Could be a different enviornment, deeper or shallower water for example. Around here we have a massive formation called the Plattin, and fossils are found in pockets, usually consisting of crinoid frags, horn corals, and other filter feeders. There is one slab however that has about 2 or 3 dozen large (3 foot plus) cephalopods in an are about 50 yards by 50 yards. Why there? Don't know, but something was different.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

You have to consider the amount of limestone that the rivers have dissolved over the years. Of course, the more limestone that the river dissolves, the more fossils will be exposed. When you're only surface hunting the limestone, you may see one of two exposed fossils while many are still concealed within the limestone.

You have to consider the amount of limestone that the rivers have dissolved over the years. Of course, the more limestone that the river dissolves, the more fossils will be exposed. When you're only surface hunting the limestone, you may see one of two exposed fossils while many are still concealed within the limestone.

Ah. Yes, of course.. How could I forget? The man who's website has an abundance of information.. The Floridian who always has the answers.. Prehistoric Florida!

I completely ignored the amount of limestone that the rivers had dissolved. Now that you've said it, it seems obvious- nonetheless, it's still perfectly possible to find shark teeth and such, other than the usual echinoids and shells?

~Major

Turok1copy.png

Yes, it's very possible to find something else rather then just echinoids... I know guys that have found shark teeth there.

" We're all puppets, I'm just a puppet who can see the strings. "

Yes, it's very possible to find something else rather then just echinoids... I know guys that have found shark teeth there.

Awesome, guys! Thanks!

~Major

Turok1copy.png