Any Of You Dps Guys Going On The Aug 16 Trip?

MikeD

Any of you DPS guys going on the Aug 16 trip? I just found out that HGMS members have been invited and I am seriously considering making the trip up there.

I wish I could go, but Im stuck working that weekend <_< I hate work..... I would just hunt fossils and sell them as a living but I would never sell any :D

Is that the Oliver Creek trip, Goodland fm? If so you'll find lots of Hemiaster whitei echies and Oxytropidoceras ammonites plus some other stuff. I went on that trip 5 years ago and did well, taking about a 5 gallon bucket load of ammonites with my nephew. Its a bigger crowd than I prefer to wrestle with especially considering the length of the drive for me, but the site can support it. If you go and you don't already have a Kgd faunal spectrum in your collection it will be worth your drive.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Is that the Oliver Creek trip, Goodland fm? If so you'll find lots of Hemiaster whitei echies and Oxytropidoceras ammonites plus some other stuff. I went on that trip 5 years ago and did well, taking about a 5 gallon bucket load of ammonites with my nephew. Its a bigger crowd than I prefer to wrestle with especially considering the length of the drive for me, but the site can support it. If you go and you don't already have a Kgd faunal spectrum in your collection it will be worth your drive.

That's the one. Now I really have to go. While I prefer small groups, it is cool to see what larger groups of people have found all at once. You sometimes get to see "the dance" and the "whoo-hoo!". And I have to take advantage of these opportunities when I can.

I not really into groups either but it's fun to see what turns up with that many people hunting. I've seen a superb quality large Tetragramma urchin, a large nautilus, a perfect Leptostyrax shark tooth, and Salenia urchins.... and of course loads of heart urchins and Oxy ammonites.

This upcoming trip I'll be focusing on regular urchins. I think the trick is to scan the thin clay intervals between the limestone layers.

Lance was on the money with his advice. Generally speaking the echies are in the soft marl seams while the ammonites are in the harder interceding limestone layers. This pattern holds up for much of the Washita group of north TX as well.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Mike:

I am planning on making the Oliver Creek trip with the DPS on August 16th. I have attended the past 2 years and collected many quality specimens of Hemiaster whitei and numerous specimens of oxytropidoceratid ammonites. In addition, I also have collected numerous chelae and leg segments of a ghost shrimp referred to as Protocalianassa sp at Oliver Creek.

Like Lance, I intend on concentrating to collecting regular echinoids this trip. I have found only one Salenia mexicana to date in the Goodland Formation at Oliver Creek (I have collected a number of them from the Goodland Formation, Benbrook member, near Cresson and Granbury) and none of the Tetragramma sp. or Phymosoma texana although I expect that they are present there since I have found them in the Goodland and Comanche Peak formations elsewhere. I am also going to look closely for Goniopygus sp. since a small specimen of Goniopygus texanus was found along with Salenia and Tetragramma in the Goodland Formation near the Kiamichi contact on the last DPS field trip to the Goodland Formation west of Fort Worth on July 12th. Roger Farish, the field trip leader, photographed the Goniopygus and sent the photograph to me for identification as I am currently studying the genus Goniopygus in the Texas Cretaceous.

I agree with Lance and Dan in that the regular echinoids are most likely to be found in the marly interbeds between the limestones. There are 2 identified Salenia zones in the Goodland Formation and apparently one of them is present at the Oliver Creek exposures. The real trick is to find them before Linda Farish and Lance get to them! I hope that you can make the trip with the HGMS. I look forward to meeting you there. I think that you will enjoy it for the variety and quantity of fossils and the scenery along Oliver Creek. The water can be pleasant and cooling when the weather is so hot as it is right now in North Texas!

Regards,

Mike

I don't believe I have any of those specific species that you guys have mentioned. Sounds like a great spot. I look forward to meeting those of you that go and collecting some great new fossils.

• 2 years later...
  • New Members

Mike D.

I recognize that photo of you. It was taken in November, 2010, by ME. I have copyright on it. :rolleyes: LOL.

I was looking up Oliver Creek for a donation of items from Glen Kuban (now in Ohio) to the Houston Gem & Mineral Society auction and I wasn't sure where Oliver Creek was located. My surprise to see the hiney in the air photo I took. Good choice for your logo.

Be sure to visit the new look of the home page to the over 1,500 pages on http://www.proctormuseum.us/. Thanks.

Terry Proctor, President HGMS

Hey, Terry. Good to see you here. Yeah, I "borrowed" your photo of me in classic fossil hunting pose. It makes a great avatar. I guess I should have given photo credit somewhere. :P