Another Mystery

dr heckle

hi there me again with another fossil from my cliff face site for those of you who havent read my other post this fossil was found in a sandstone deposit on the bank of a lake in east gippsland victoria now i have consulted every book i own on fossils not to mention a couple of people i know that know heaps about fossils and have turned up nothing the mystery fossil was found in a pile of water worn sandstone gravel close to a large sandstone deposit once agin no clues as to it age other then that it is extremeley hard compared to some of the other fossils i have found in the areapost-587-1217398569_thumb.jpgpost-587-1217398612_thumb.jpg

there are about four of those funny looking striped oval sahpes runnning almost parralel to each other and they all end in sort of a spherical indentation at the thicker end as you may be able to see from the photo any info would be of a great help i have got and can obtain other photos if needed

ps. as you may have and probably already have figured out im new to the whole finding and identifying your own fossils thing up untill about half a year ago my collection mostly come from shops ebay and markets

a heckle a day keeps the doctor away

hmm that is pretty interesting, i cant really tell from the pictures but there appears to be a smoother surface around those parralell lines, im not sure if that is actually part of the fossil.

If its not, those lines could be the cross section of cephalopod......

im interested to see what other say

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

That's wierd! If there's fossil there, it might be the smooth "cage" around the core. The segmented area looks like cracked matrix.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

the funny thing is that the segmented areas almost look as though they are made of some other kind of sandstone i know you cant see it in the photo but its as though theres sections of almost white sandstone inside the regular sandstone

a heckle a day keeps the doctor away

to me it looks like the larger matrix was burrowed or had voids that were filled by a less dense matrix which then dried and cracked and created the appearance of "segments".