Interesting Rock - What Is It?

RockyMan

• New Members

Ok, I was looking through some boxes at my house and I came upon a box that was custom-built for this rock. I have no clue what it might be, my parents found it at a garage sale a long time ago and though it was interesting.

It has rounded edges in an oval shape. The black ring around it protrudes a few millimeters. The black ring also separates a bigger-half and a smaller-half of the rock.

Any ides?

Thank you!

post-7039-0-02537100-1317580384_thumb.jpg

post-7039-0-88165600-1317580407_thumb.jpg

It is a river-worn cobble of (probably) sedimentary rock; the raised layer is harder and more resistant to abrasion.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

A layered sedimentary rock. Probably a lime with a splash of sandstone in it or some of the other sedimentaries.

Kind of like this one collected from NSR (North Sulphur River of Texas, K to Plisto)

post-6510-0-78945500-1317585070_thumb.jpg

PUBLICATIONS

Dallas Paleontology Society Occasional Papers Vol. 9 2011

"Pennsylvanian Stratigraphy and Paleoecology of Outcrops in Jacksboro, Texas"

Author

Texas Paleontology Society Feb, 2011

"Index Fossils and You" A primer on how to utilize fossils to assist in relative age dating strata"

Author

Quotes

"Beer, Bacon, and Bivalves!"

"Say NO to illegal fossil buying / selling"

"They belong in a museum."

Education

Associates of Science - 2011

Bachelors of Science (Geology & Biology) - 2012 est.