Prices?

Fossil Girl

I went to my first Gem, Mineral, Bead and Jewellery Show in Ancaster Ontario Canada over the weekend. There were a few fossil booths there and I attended a Fossil Seminar by Bob O'Donnell, a collector from London Ontario who gave us a general overview of how fossils are made etc. I made a few small 'safe' purchases since I don't really know very much about pricing, availability and authentic fossils.

On a recent trip, I found a couple dozen plant fossils (carbonized plants - Carboniferous Flora from the Paleozoic Era, about 270 to 350 million years ago) in shale. I only know this because I found them with the Curator from the Cape Breton Fossil Museum in Sydney Mines, Nova Scotia and was allowed to keep them. It is illegal to sell fossils in Nova Scotia - so how does one value such item? It is not illegal in Ontario to sell them.

post-6898-0-95126700-1317694875_thumb.jpg

Hello,

I don't know how to give a helpfull answer to that question but that is a very nice Fern plate. Is that one of the personal finds you mentioned? If so, good job.

Bobby

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - Confucius

Hello,

Caleb is correct. It comes with time and experience with the fossil subject. The more you about the fossils you have or the fossils you want, the better equiped you will be to evaluate a fair price but so many factors come into play as well such as quality, size, rarity, location found and what the fossil is. Sometimes the price driver for a particular fossil may come down to something as simple as the color. The true measure of value though is how bad someone wants it and what they are willing to pay. I know that none of this helps you much now but stay tuned into the Forum and other sources of information and you will get the knowledge you are looking for eventually. So many people on the Forum are very helpfull members who enjoy helping others.

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - Confucius

Thanks Sharkbyte and Caleb....and yes Sharkbyte, that is one of my finds from my first fossil hunt on vacation in Nova Scotia. That plate contains 5 different types of plants.

Edited by Fossil Girl

Love that fren plate. Looks like a negative of a plate from St.Clair!!

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Nice fern plate. I don't know why you would consider selling it. That's one to display.

My in-laws live in London and I was planning a trip there later this month, but unfortunately I had to cancel.

BRGDS

sward

DFW, TX

SWard
Southeast Missouri

(formerly Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX)

USA

I went to my first Gem, Mineral, Bead and Jewellery Show in Ancaster Ontario Canada over the weekend. There were a few fossil booths there and I attended a Fossil Seminar by Bob O'Donnell, a collector from London Ontario who gave us a general overview of how fossils are made etc. I made a few small 'safe' purchases since I don't really know very much about pricing, availability and authentic fossils.

On a recent trip, I found a couple dozen plant fossils (carbonized plants - Carboniferous Flora from the Paleozoic Era, about 270 to 350 million years ago) in shale. I only know this because I found them with the Curator from the Cape Breton Fossil Museum in Sydney Mines, Nova Scotia and was allowed to keep them. It is illegal to sell fossils in Nova Scotia - so how does one value such item? It is not illegal in Ontario to sell them.

Sounds priceless actually, based on the laws prohibiting the sale of Nova Scotia fossils. Perhaps the best way to say it would be; without a price at all. The museum obviously has a liberal policy with regard to letting participants keep a small souvenir. That reasoning is based on the abundance of Carboniferous plant fragments with a relatively insignificant monetary value. That said, I imagine they would not be thrilled to discover the sale of these fossils outside of their provincial jursidiction. I would also add that Canada is very circumspect with regard to fossil commerce. Check the statutes carefully to avoid any difficulty in the future.

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Thank you for all the input. My question about prices was meant to be more general, basically for me purchasing some for my new collection from areas in which I have not travelled to. Yes, that piece will stay with me but just wanted to know if it had 'value'. I did give away a couple of smaller pieces to my friends' children who are at the age that they think rocks and old stuff are cool.

Luckily, the curator allowed us to keep the samples because we collected them from a cliff that had fallen into the ocean, and the cliff is being slowly taken apart by the waves. These are considered to be 'lost fossils'.

From all the comments, experience and your homework are the key to valuing something you are buying or something you are selling.

Edited by Fossil Girl

Nice fern plate. I don't know why you would consider selling it. That's one to display.

My in-laws live in London and I was planning a trip there later this month, but unfortunately I had to cancel.

BRGDS

sward

DFW, TX

There is an upcoming Gem & Mineral show in London Ontario - November 19th & 20th. More details can be found at www.gemandmineral.ca. Maybe your in-laws can stop in and get you a good Christmas Gift!

Fossil girl,

Thanks for the info. I may just have to give a couple of hints. ;)

I wish I could have made the trip, but priorities changed. I had hoped to visit Arkona while I was there. I've heard that's a great place to find fossils.

Good luck in your explorations!

BRGDS

sward

DFW, TX

SWard
Southeast Missouri

USA

Fossil girl,

Thanks for the info. I may just have to give a couple of hints. ;)

I wish I could have made the trip, but priorities changed. I had hoped to visit Arkona while I was there. I've heard that's a great place to find fossils.

Good luck in your explorations!

BRGDS

sward

DFW, TX

It is, and it is close to London. That was my second fossil hunt when I came back from my trip with the digging bug! Lots of shell fossils.

Fossil Girl,

I remembered a thread from a while back regarding fossil prices. This, in particular, had to do with mammoth teeth.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php/topic/23919-what-is-fair-price-for-high-quality-mammoth-tooth/page__p__261163__hl__%2Bmammoth+%2Btooth__fromsearch__1#entry261163

Once you've been fossil hunting once or twice, it's easy to "catch the bug," isn't it. :sick:

BRGDS

sward

DFW, TX

SWard
Southeast Missouri

USA