Cold Water/weather Gear

MikeDOTB

Hello Everyone,

FlyersFan's most recent post made me think about starting this topic. What does everyone start using/wearing when the water starts getting cold and the weather starts turning. Any reccomendations for wetsuits, dry-suits, gloves, boots etc. Usually a good pair of waders will take care of most of it, but mainly I started thinking about ways to keep your hands warm since there isnt really a way to keep them dry esecially with waves, sifting and everything else that could happen (falling in). Im very interested to see everyone's responses/reccomendations.

Mike

DO, or do not. There is no try.

You already know but I wear insulated socks and thermal long underwear under waders. My feet have never been cold. Not quite to that point here though.

This one is easy. 7mil Farmer John wetsuit beats any hip waders hands down. Number one, it is a little boyant, so even if you pass out after seeing that big meg in your screener, your probably not going to drown. No seriously, if you are in moving water (especially if it has speed) hip waders are super dangerous and they are only good at keeping you warm as long as you don't get water down them. Maybe I am just clumsy, but you don't see many of the logs or rocks until you trip on them. Plus, if you feel something under your foot, you can reach down and get it. You can't really do this in waders and that rock you kicked might be a whale vert or mammoth molar. They are also pretty warm. And there is always that suprise evening rain shower. I guess to each there own. I will add though that if you are going to be in water that is up above your waist, then you will need a weight belt to keep you from floating off. As for shoes, dive shoes will keep you warmer than waders and a lot warmer than boots. I just wear normal garden gloves. Yes, your hands will freeze. But there are not a pair of dive gloves that will survive screening. Just stick your hands under your armpits between screens. Having said all this, neither the wetsuit or dive boots are cheap, but just keep an eye out on craigslist!

I used to wear hip boots, until I figured out the water was always about 1/2 inch deeper than the boots were tall, so I switched to chest waders.

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

This one is easy. 7mil Farmer John wetsuit beats any hip waders hands down. Number one, it is a little boyant, so even if you pass out after seeing that big meg in your screener, your probably not going to drown. No seriously, if you are in moving water (especially if it has speed) hip waders are super dangerous and they are only good at keeping you warm as long as you don't get water down them. Maybe I am just clumsy, but you don't see many of the logs or rocks until you trip on them. Plus, if you feel something under your foot, you can reach down and get it. You can't really do this in waders and that rock you kicked might be a whale vert or mammoth molar. They are also pretty warm. And there is always that suprise evening rain shower. I guess to each there own. I will add though that if you are going to be in water that is up above your waist, then you will need a weight belt to keep you from floating off. As for shoes, dive shoes will keep you warmer than waders and a lot warmer than boots. I just wear normal garden gloves. Yes, your hands will freeze. But there are not a pair of dive gloves that will survive screening. Just stick your hands under your armpits between screens. Having said all this, neither the wetsuit or dive boots are cheap, but just keep an eye out on craigslist!

i like your thinking.i've found that whale vert but i haven't tripped on any mammoth teeth. i'd stub my toe, maybe even take a sprain for a chance at one of those teeth. wouldn't mind getting hooked on a giant sloth claw either....

Today's the day!

Mel Fisher

I wear hip waders with no issues. But then again GMR is usually less than knee deep. I couldn't imagine wearing an entire suit though. Slinging gravel makes me get really warm. I usually go down to a t shirt after about 30 mins.

i LOVE my redington waders. i spent over 150 full days in them every year and so far i have got 3 seasons of fishing and hicking out of them. As for boots i am running the Cahota full leather boots, the felt on botton give a great grip on river rocks and the studs are to die for!

i think orvise makes a wader with thick wool linners in the booties.