Larger Dino Bones

trout hunter

So over the years of fishing the back waters in Ab i have got to know some people with mineral rights int he Red Deer river valley. They have let a close friend and i go fossil hunting over the past few summers and this one we found something good! about 80% of a Hadosaur femur, it looks to be a foot or so smaller than the full sized ones in the Tyrell Musium and it came out in 3 large chuncks. my questions are

should i take the 3 chuncks down to their fractures pieces and glue them back one at a time or lock them all in a expoky (coating) and glue the 3 larger pieces together?

they are quite clean as the mud washes off with very littel work.

Thanks

pics to come

Edited by trout hunter

I am looking forward to the pictures. :drool:

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - Confucius

here you go sharkbite. The water bottle is 2L. But it is good to know what scotch an old farmer likes! A photo is off to a family friend who will ask the appropriate people if i can keep it or not.

what we originally found was a 2'x4" end on the left sticking out of a shallow mound. All my others stop at about hand sized but this bugger just kept going, oh well...

post-6922-0-04476000-1318462602_thumb.jpg

Nice photo.

Rib or ischium, not femur. As for prep - experienced and talented preparators can take apart every little piece of a bone, clean it, and glue it all back together for a perfect bone. This takes a huge amount of time and patience, and in many cases it won't fit back together perfectly. It's much safer to leave the chunks intact, clean them as safely as you can, and fill them with glue as-is, then epoxy the big chunks back together. Makes a fine looking bone, and is much faster, easier, and safer than taking the risk of pulling it to pieces.

Really nice. Hope you get to keep it and hope you prep it well for removal. Looks very fragile or unstable but workable.

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - Confucius

actually the 3 pieces are quite strong but there is definitely some "mud glue" going on. I think i will wait until i get word back before i do anything to it.

I would try to take it in pieces, the do what even back at home

Not a femur but still nice

it is at home already. if not a femur what is your opinion? still hadesaur?

i dont think it is a ischium or a rib. It is too strait and thick to be a rib and i believe the ball joint was onn the laft side of the bone but broke off over time. could it be an arm bone instead?

thanks

jeremy

Edited by trout hunter

Hadrosaur ischia:

post-5958-0-96153900-1318627479_thumb.png

post-5958-0-22942500-1318627519_thumb.jpg

It is a bit too straight for a hadrosaur rib, but a very large ceratopsian can have some impressively straight ribs. It's not too thick at all for a big rib, but it's too skinny & the wrong shape for a humerus, radius, or ulna.

Hadrosaur rib:

post-5958-0-15769800-1318627720_thumb.png