How Much Of This Is Real?

Kosmoceras

Hi all,

anyone know how much of this is real? It says it was preped by the seller.

Any help would do!

Best wishes,

Thomas.

PS: Sorry for the small pictures!

post-4683-0-52082100-1319038181_thumb.png

Since there is part and (partial) counterpart, I take that as a good sign.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hello Odin,

It sure looks nice and authentic to me but I wouldn't put a lot of merit in my opinion.

Bobby

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - Confucius

Hi Thomas,

Thumbnails are not really sufficient to make a reasonable evaluation. Can you post larger images at approximately 800 x 600 resolution?

Thanks ;)

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Hi Thomas,

Thumbnails are not really sufficient to make a reasonable evaluation. Can you post larger images at approximately 800 x 600 resolution?

Thanks ;)

This any better?

post-4683-0-03144400-1319050869_thumb.png

Hi Thomas,

Thanks ;)

I do not have time right now to do all the images this size, but soon I will.

Thanks Thomas,

I would say that overall it appears to be decent but will reserve any specific conclusion until you post the remaining images. Another point of caution here: These Moroccan trilobites are best evaluated in hand, or at a minimum with a liberal return policy if you are not satisfied once it arrives. Unfortunately the preservation of this material lends itself to massive amounts of restoration that is often difficult to detect just from digital images.

I have seen a ton of this material in the 90s and it all depended on who you bought it from and the matrix. I would like to see the rock on the backside of the trilobite. That will be a real indicator of the legitimacy of your specimen.

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

I have seen a ton of this material in the 90s and it all depended on who you bought it from and the matrix. I would like to see the rock on the backside of the trilobite. That will be a real indicator of the legitimacy of your specimen.

Not sure I'm following your rationale here. I have seen plenty of authentic trilobites on reconstructed or repaired matrix and just as many fakes transplanted on to solid unaltered matrix to know that is definitely not a consistent method for determining whether or not a trilobite is authentic or worth purchasing.

Looks pretty good Thomas. On the plus side of the ledger, the fact that various elements are missing tend to prove that this trilobite was left in an unrestored state. Typically the fabricated examples are a complete patchwork of paint and putty to give the illusion of a "complete" trilobite. A few small spots may have been stabilized or touched up a bit but does not appear to be that egregious or troubling compared to the rest. Even though you have been looking to get one for a while now, remember that collecting fossils should be a marathon and not a sprint. In the end, it all boils down to something you will be happy looking at now or 20 years from now. ^_^

Looks pretty good Thomas. On the plus side of the ledger, the fact that various elements are missing tend to prove that this trilobite was left in an unrestored state. Typically the fabricated examples are a complete patchwork of paint and putty to give the illusion of a "complete" trilobite. A few small spots may have been stabilized or touched up a bit but does not appear to be that egregious or troubling compared to the rest. Even though you have been looking to get one for a while now, remember that collecting fossils should be a marathon and not a sprint. In the end, it all boils down to something you will be happy looking at now or 20 years from now. ^_^

OK, I will probably get it then, once I get the money. (I won the money in a fossil competition! :D )

And personally, I would be more than happy to look at this trilobite for the rest of my life.

Thanks for the help everyone! :D

hey, mine looks almost identical to that! well,except for the matrix.. :P

anyways, congrats thomas! you got a pretty decent cambro! :D congrats for result ;) see what happens when i tell you to wait?? :o