Fossil Site In Joliette, Schuylkill Co, Pa?

bangalifossil

Hi,

I ran into the following rather sketchy description regarding a site in Joliette, PA at http://www.pennminerals.com/collecting.htm in a page on fossil collecting sites in SE Pennsylvania. If any fellow-member has recently been to this location, I would appreciate details of the location and of utheir experience.

"JOLIETTE, SCHUYLKILL CO., PA - Pennsylvanian-aged petrified wood and fern fossils from the anthracite coal mines. From Interstate 81, take Exit 107 (Tower City) and proceed west on Rt. 209 into Joliette. At cross roads, turn right and proceed past a fire hall on left. Travel about 0.75 mile to gravel road on right and park at the chained driveway. Permission is not needed to collect on the property. Other dumps along the unchained road belong to Summit Coal Company with no permission needed to access."

Thanks,

raja

I was at that site about 6 months ago. The mine was still active but the area where you would collect is readily accessable. You'll be collecting in the spoils piles. It's not hard to find the chained driveway. Based on those directions it'll be on your right, ample parking. Very dirty site, coal dust. I've found decent ferns, wood and Annularia. The stuff is not as dramatic in appearance as the St. Clair material but decent enough. Worth visiting if you're just starting out or are looking for those particular specimens. Not sure what else might be there, I went when it was quite cold and could only stay a few hours.

When do you intend to go? I wouldn't mind heading up that way again to see if I couldn't find something different.

• 7 months later...

Lots of old dumps in that area. The dumps in the valley all belong to Summit and they don't mind if your on the spoil piles but stay out of the active areas. If you go to the dumps a little farther north of the Good Spring intersection beware because the land owner is no happy about anyone trespassing. I ran into some locals who gave me this info, did not have the experience myself.

Dave

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Were you in the big strip pit? Or maybe back at the mine? Let me know if you guys go, it's my neighborhood.

With rocks in my head, and fossils in my heart....

flyguy's description is very adequate. you can find ferns there but they bare not the greatest, but decent enoguh. I know people who have found petrified wood there, but I haven't found it

• 6 years later...
  • New Members

The three main fossils I've collected from the sites are Alethopteris, Neuropteris, and Pecopteris. I haven't found any petrified wood, but that's just me. By the way, there happens to be a beautiful lake in the area, and up the hill surrounding the lake is where I collected most.

• 8 years later...

Does anyone know if it is possible to find fossils at JOLIETTE, SCHUYLKILL CO., PA anymore? Is it off limits now? If possible, could anyone give me information on the location (e.g. address). I am hoping to visit this region soon.

Anyone with information can contact the member via PM. Topic will now be locked.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

• Kane locked this topic