Office Of Landowners At St Clair Site Near Burma Rd?

bangalifossil

Hi All,

Many people on the forum seem to have visited the St Clair site (off Hancock/Burma Rd). I have not been to the site and from reports in this forum, the land-owners have posted notices on their property. Has anyone in this forum been able to find the office of the land owners to obtain permission to visit the site? If they do have an office, I would much rather try to get their approval before visiting the site.

Thanks for your help.

raja

Can't help you out here, never been. Although over time I've managed to get some of this material. Gifts, (thanks Mike) and flea markets etc. It's nice, very dramatic, the ferns stand out clearly, yellowish white on the black background.

• 2 weeks later...

I first stopped at the St Clair site in July, while out from CA. I at parked at the wide spot on Burma Rd opposite the clear-cut area. The trail starts here, no signs posted that I remember. The fossil spot is .41 mi along the trail into the woods.

The first photo is near the opening off the trail to the fossil site. There is a sign board on the tree but sign was missing. The fossil material is everywhere underfoot in this area. There were a couple other people in the area while I was there. I picked up some hand specimens.

I did not see an office in the area, I could not tell you where it is.

post-525-1218779210_thumb.jpg

post-525-1218779261_thumb.jpg

post-525-1218779288_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
I first stopped at the St Clair site in July, while out from CA. I at parked at the wide spot on Burma Rd opposite the clear-cut area. The trail starts here, no signs posted that I remember. The fossil spot is .41 mi along the trail into the woods.

The first photo is near the opening off the trail to the fossil site. There is a sign board on the tree but sign was missing. The fossil material is everywhere underfoot in this area. There were a couple other people in the area while I was there. I picked up some hand specimens.

I did not see an office in the area, I could not tell you where it is.

There is no office. You don't need permission to enter the site. Nobody will sue you. Just practice good collecting and don't haul in all kinds of commercial equipment. The pathway is owned by Reading Coal Co. Occasionally some yokel local will attempt to intimidate you with threats of trespassing. Tell him you're a Penn State fan and worship Joe Paterno.

Hi All,

Many people on the forum seem to have visited the St Clair site (off Hancock/Burma Rd). I have not been to the site and from reports in this forum, the land-owners have posted notices on their property. Has anyone in this forum been able to find the office of the land owners to obtain permission to visit the site? If they do have an office, I would much rather try to get their approval before visiting the site.

Thanks for your help.

raja

Who told you the site has been posted? since when? When I was there a few months ago it wasn't posted. Please let me know. thanks

If you have any doubts, I'd go in with a fossil club that has set up a trip. A lot of clubs have field trips every so often. I'm a member of the MGS (Maryland Geological Society) and I know that I made a trip there a few years ago. I'm sorry I'm not of more help.

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

• 6 months later...

Hi all..I'm new here and wondered if there has been any new updated info on the St. Clair site...whether we can still access the site or not. I'm planning to go down in a month or two and really don't relish any interactions with the local law enforcement officers or land owners for that matter. There are posts that say it's ok to go in..and there are posts and links that say not....??? I don't want to go anywhere with my kids where we could get into trouble. If anyone could make this less confusing..I'd really appreciate it.....Sue

Hi all..I'm new here and wondered if there has been any new updated info on the St. Clair site...whether we can still access the site or not. I'm planning to go down in a month or two and really don't relish any interactions with the local law enforcement officers or land owners for that matter. There are posts that say it's ok to go in..and there are posts and links that say not....??? I don't want to go anywhere with my kids where we could get into trouble. If anyone could make this less confusing..I'd really appreciate it.....Sue

Yes it's true that the site has been posted. I don't think you will get in trouble though. If you need more info, please email me at tell_mike@hotmail.com

Thanks

Mike

Hey maybe we should set up a group thing, they cant get us all. We can use boneman as a distraction, he's young, he run faster. lol. But seriously when the temp gets above 16 degrees we should set up a day trip. Also, if you dont make a mess, there's an exposure behind the new dunkin dounuts. I started to check it out, but my wife did'nt take long enough to get her darn latte.

With rocks in my head, and fossils in my heart....

Hey maybe we should set up a group thing, they cant get us all. We can use boneman as a distraction, he's young, he run faster. lol. But seriously when the temp gets above 16 degrees we should set up a day trip. Also, if you dont make a mess, there's an exposure behind the new dunkin dounuts. I started to check it out, but my wife did'nt take long enough to get her darn latte.

Count me in. I've been interested in going there for a while now. I live in N.Y. though but, I can bring Latte for everyone . :)

• 3 weeks later...

lets just pick a day and do it! Im sure we can put a group together. I say if interested post here. Shamalama is pretty knowledgeable about the site.

Mike

lets just pick a day and do it! Im sure we can put a group together. I say if interested post here. Shamalama is pretty knowledgeable about the site.

Mike

Actually, tuscarora-th Mike and I were just talking about going up there when it's warmer. I have one of those huge "murder bars" that would be useful for wedging up slabs. I was last up there in January and got a few odd looks from a local hunter in a tree stand (it was deer season so I had a red cap on so they didn't think I was a grey deer). One of the interesting things is you park next to the gun range and hear quite a bit of artillery being shot until you walk back into the woods. Never had a problem with access and agree with TheFossilHunter Mike that no one really cares as long as you don't try to bring a backhoe in. Still, people have been in with rock saws to cut sections of the matrix and make it easier to pry up.

I was looking through some old files and found my original directions to the site complete with my horrible hand drawn roads. Sadly my handwriting/drawing abilities have not improved over the years. :D

Dave

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

What about this Saturday or next? It's supposed to be nice. Let me know. I have never been there, and I would like meet everyone from the forum.

With rocks in my head, and fossils in my heart....

What about this Saturday or next? It's supposed to be nice. Let me know. I have never been there, and I would like meet everyone from the forum.

The weather looks a little iffy this weekend, might not be the best conditions to be working in. Lets see what next weekend brings.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/