All Barracuda Teeth?

Taffie

I noticed as I was setting the teeth up for the pic some of them were shaped a little different. I thought maybe it was because of their location in the barracuda mouth or were they another kind of tooth? I took the pic of the bottoms in case that would help. Chandler Bridge - Oligocene.

post-6966-0-34230800-1320019985_thumb.jpg

post-6966-0-53901600-1320020002_thumb.jpg

Edited by Taffie

Yep, all Barracuda teeth, just different shapes because of position. The non-symmetrical teeth are like "fangs"...I have a modern jaw somewhere but can't find it right now. Something else few folks realize with these teeth is that thy are serrated! On the better quality teeth, use a loupe (x10 orx20 magnifier) and you will see the very small serrations along the cutting edge of the tooth. On the "canine" fangs, the cutting edge is only on one side of the tooth and sort of wraps around the top/tip a bit.

Neat stuff.

Daryl.

How cool is that, I will take a look at mine and see if I can see the serrations. Thanks for posting this.

You have a nice even mix of sphyraena barracuda, Scomberomorus, and (?)cybium teeth there. Beautiful.

CF

You have a nice even mix of sphyraena barracuda, Scomberomorus, and (?)cybium teeth there. Beautiful.

CF

Thanks for taking the time, dinodigger. I appreciate the id.