Going To Flag Ponds Today

Metopocetus

It is generally picked clean but some nice land mammal material comes from that beach (keeping an eye out for bird). I'll be walking my white German Shepherd down there so if you see me say hello. I will report back if anything is worth mentioning.

Nothing spectacular but not a bad day....post-680-1218381969_thumb.jpg

You sure had a pretty day for it! I can't recall ever having found a tooth with a hole through it, much less an angular hole. Any idea how that happened?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

It looks like something bored into it (the smaller circular hole) and weakened the structure of the tooth. Washing around in the waves for who knows how long might be the reason for the broken holes.

post-680-1218391023_thumb.jpg

Ah! The round holes I recognize; they're from a boring clam. Really hollowed that one out!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

"Life is like a box of fossils". Forest Gomp

Cool find!

It looks like something bored into it (the smaller circular hole) and weakened the structure of the tooth. Washing around in the waves for who knows how long might be the reason for the broken holes.

post-680-1218391023_thumb.jpg

Looks like it was used as a necklace :P .

Looks like it was used as a necklace :P .

...or a two-note ocarina. :P:P