Carbon Or Charcoal Inside

Kehbe

post-7046-0-92342000-1321390386_thumb.jpg

I found this rock at the 63rd and 435 interchange also. After splitting several pieces I came across this charcoal inside. I say charcoal because it actually leaves a black mark on paper like charcoal. Very hard charcoal though, more like crystal carbon. I actually found quite a few. Is it actually burnt wood? post-7046-0-10218500-1321390683_thumb.jpg I found it in layer #2 of this picture.

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

Charles Darwin

Maybe lignite, or one of the other classes of coalified wood?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I find lots of this in Lavernock, was going to ask the same thing, didn't pick up a sample though (was looking after 3 kids so we were just messing around rather than hunting)

• 1 month later...

I think what you have found would be best described as

impure lignitic coal.

Here's a link with discussion on this subject. Dr. Norm King's

web based publication on the the rocks and sediments at my

Pennsylvanian research locality in St Louis Click Here :)

Flash from the Past (Show Us Your Fossils)
MAPS Fossil Show

As it is exposed in the metro, the upper Winterset seems to have resulted from a complex interplay of marine and coastal environments.

Bed #2 is an oolite of variable thickness that covers a number of square miles in the SE part of Kansas City. It started off as a shoal of oolitic sand and shell debris, mainly mollusks of all kinds. The wood probably drifted from a nearby coastline. In the thin-bedded, almost laminated limestones at the top of the exposure, you may come across some strap-like leaves of Cordaites. These trees may be the source of the wood, as Cordaites are thought to have formed mangroves in a south-Florida-like environment. Just over in Lees Summit, beautiful ferns can be found at the top. These plants can be seen in my 'Backyard Trip' thread at:

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php/topic/25424-backyard-trip/page__st__40

(I believe the slab with Cordaites came from I-435/63rd.)

I'm thinking of attempting to map out these beds city-wide to see if any patterns emerge. (The advent of GPS will make this job vastly easier.)

Context is critical.