The Coast Is Clear

tracer

A wild and sort of desolate stretch of coastline. The formation's Pleistocene but some of the stuff eroding out of it seems Holocene, but cool nonetheless...

post-488-1218413749_thumb.jpg

post-488-1218413788_thumb.jpg

Hey look at this next one - it's cannon shells! Get it? Oh, nevermind...

post-488-1218413820_thumb.jpg

post-488-1218413898_thumb.jpg

No, I didn't accidentally put the same picture in twice. I found two identical bones in two identical piles of shells and just wanted you to see that.

Where is this place located? Nice finds!

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

The location is in Texas, but the place is so difficult for me to access, that I've only been there a couple of times and kind of dread the thought of doing it again. But on the other hand, I think fairly frequently of what might be there, since like many such places, it's different every time. The beach is completely covered in rocks, shells and debris, so looking for teeth and such is a needle in a haystack miles long. I assume the bones in the pictures are either bison or hurricane-killed cow from some years back. Who knows? All I know is when I've been there, I've really felt like an adventurer and like I was somewhere where many other people would never go. I found some pretty big lightning whelks there, which are the state seashell. Saw quite a few coconuts there one time. And I've found a few offshore drilling rig hardhats, too. There are plenty of such signs of human sea trash, but no humans. It's kind of a post-apocalyptic feeling - like you're the last person left. That's one of the things that I'm most appreciative of from my getting interested in fossils. It's gotten me to some very interesting places where I never would have gone otherwise.

No, I didn't accidentally put the same picture in twice. I found two identical bones in two identical piles of shells and just wanted you to see that.

Figure the odds... :P

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I went to a stretch of beach near High Island a couple years ago that looked similar to that area. The bones I found weren't very well mineralized, but it was cool to see them in the Beaumont Clay. I wanted them to be bison but I was never sure since there were cows wandering around the area as well. My favorite find was one side of a gator mandible with all the tooth sockets empty. I've heard paleo points can be found washed up on the beach there, something I'd love to confirm first hand. I'm glad we took my buddy's 4WD. We ran about 15-20 miles up the beach from High Island and driving got pretty rough.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

I went to a stretch of beach near High Island a couple years ago that looked similar to that area. The bones I found weren't very well mineralized, but it was cool to see them in the Beaumont Clay. I wanted them to be bison but I was never sure since there were cows wandering around the area as well. My favorite find was one side of a gator mandible with all the tooth sockets empty. I've heard paleo points can be found washed up on the beach there, something I'd love to confirm first hand. I'm glad we took my buddy's 4WD. We ran about 15-20 miles up the beach from High Island and driving got pretty rough.

That looks like the Beaumont clay, although I have never been out far enough to see the rocks. Most of what was left of the road was taken out last summer by a direct hit storm (can't remember the name). One of my associates still managed to make it all the way to Sabine Pass, but said it was scary in a couple of spots. Don't know what Edouard did to the beach there recently (another direct hit). A field day for those who have been out there, I'm sure. I have seen mammoth, bison, and horse fossils that have come from there and know some people who have found Clovis points there. It is said that more Clovis points have been found there than anywhere else in the US. See http://www.proctormuseum.us/Texas/McFaddin-Beach/mcfaddinbeach.htm for a little more info.

Subsidence in that area combined with the tropical storms from last year have made it difficult even for 4x4's to access the beach unless the conditions are ideal.

Cell coverage is spotty, too, so plan accordingly if you try to visit the area.

SCFMS-Safety

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

I actually laughed pretty good over this one :P