Where Do You Get Your Formation Maps?

Dave in Alaska

where do people get maps of the formations in your area? I know a few areas but would like to expand my searches.

Thanks,

Dave

Generally speaking, I don't have any "Formation Maps", per se.

I have a copy of a geologic bedrock map of my state. I was able to purchase a copy of it at my state D.E.P. store.

Many states geologic maps can be found online. Google image search might help you there.

I have researched the names of the formations that occur in my state, and read countless PDF files found online (Google searching for the formation names) about them. Some of the pdfs described where the formations may outcrop in different areas.

Some of my research has led to clues about sites, some sites I've had to try to "Re-Find", using google earth, and clues from the pdf's as to where sites might be located.

The usgs site is also a good source of information.

Hope this is helpful. :)

Regards,

Edited by Fossildude19

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Internet

GSA Archives

Google Earth / GIS Modifications

PUBLICATIONS

Dallas Paleontology Society Occasional Papers Vol. 9 2011

"Pennsylvanian Stratigraphy and Paleoecology of Outcrops in Jacksboro, Texas"

Author

Texas Paleontology Society Feb, 2011

"Index Fossils and You" A primer on how to utilize fossils to assist in relative age dating strata"

Author

Quotes

"Beer, Bacon, and Bivalves!"

"Say NO to illegal fossil buying / selling"

"They belong in a museum."

Education

Associates of Science - 2011

Bachelors of Science (Geology & Biology) - 2012 est.

Due to a lack of decent geologic maps of my area, I usually have to go with topo maps, stratigrapic charts, marker beds, and gut instinct. :)

Yes, Google.... I've found quite a few geo maps here and there just entering different combinations of keywords (state, region, county, town, period, stratigraphic names, etc.).

Context is critical.

If you have an iPad or iPhone, Columbia University has an application called Earth Observer. It has state geological maps, and old 7.5' sheet geological maps for a number of states. Also more generalized geological maps. I've actually found it useful in my research. check it out.

They may have one for other smart phones, but I don't know.

If you have an iPad or iPhone, Columbia University has an application called Earth Observer. It has state geological maps, and old 7.5' sheet geological maps for a number of states. Also more generalized geological maps. I've actually found it useful in my research. check it out.

They may have one for other smart phones, but I don't know.

The GiS mods is a variant of that program. I take my laptop out in the field due to lack of smart phone. Sat link and GPS onto overlain GiS mod..buetiful.

PUBLICATIONS

Dallas Paleontology Society Occasional Papers Vol. 9 2011

"Pennsylvanian Stratigraphy and Paleoecology of Outcrops in Jacksboro, Texas"

Author

Texas Paleontology Society Feb, 2011

"Index Fossils and You" A primer on how to utilize fossils to assist in relative age dating strata"

Author

Quotes

"Beer, Bacon, and Bivalves!"

"Say NO to illegal fossil buying / selling"

"They belong in a museum."

Education

Associates of Science - 2011

Bachelors of Science (Geology & Biology) - 2012 est.