London Clay Uk

AndyW

a long awaited trip to some london clay sites uk, we had some car trouble which meant only one site was visited

pic one

4 anamotodon sheppeyensis

shark tooth in matrix (tbp)

odontaspis winkleri

striatolammia macrota

last one ?

pic two

bird bone

two isselicrinus subbasaltiformis crinoid

croc tooth ?

hoploparia gammaroides lobster

post-473-1218654098_thumb.jpg

post-473-1218654234_thumb.jpg

• Members

That is some nice material. The croc tooth is quite striking. Any guess as to what the genus might be. I know that the genus Crocodilus is found in the London Clay and probably also Diplocynodon but I'm not familiar with their teeth.

That is some nice material. The croc tooth is quite striking. Any guess as to what the genus might be. I know that the genus Crocodilus is found in the London Clay and probably also Diplocynodon but I'm not familiar with their teeth.

crocodilus spenceri or diplocynodon sp yes but not sure of this little beauty .

According to Elasmo, Cappetta suggests that affinis branched from inflata and were present at the same time but there is no written info on this. I think now, if I read it properly, they are one and the same. Inflata being the senior name.

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.

Guest N.AL.hunter

I am no expert, as many will tell you, but are you sure that is a croc tooth? Looks very thin to me in comparison to length. Coul;d it be from some other form of aquatic reptile?

...pic two

bird bone...

Did someone say "bird bone"?

I've got to find a way to get over there and try my luck; the London Clay is so famous for it's bird fossils! (And I have nary an example).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Very nice! Could be a pterosaur tooth, but that's wishful thinking.

Hey I'm going to be in London in October and was wondering if you knew of any good fossil shops. I'd rather go look for fossil myself but I'm going to be too involved in my future sister-in-laws wedding and I won't have the time or the transportation to go find my own. :( I was looking online and found a place called Ammonite, is there anywhere else?

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Very nice! Could be a pterosaur tooth, but that's wishful thinking.

Hey I'm going to be in London in October and was wondering if you knew of any good fossil shops. I'd rather go look for fossil myself but I'm going to be too involved in my future sister-in-laws wedding and I won't have the time or the transportation to go find my own. :( I was looking online and found a place called Ammonite, is there anywhere else?

as i told you already dorset is the place for those fossil shops 6+ . the only other place to visit in london is the natural history museum .

as i told you already dorset is the place for those fossil shops 6+ . the only other place to visit in london is the natural history museum .

Oh, sorry, I didn't realize you were the same person sending me pm's. Thanks.

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.