Mammoth Tusk Info.

ga.rockhound

Hi.I recently purchased a section of mammoth tusk from a lady that acquired the specimen from the liquidation of the Grove Museum in Coryell County Texas.She could not give much information on the fossil.I'm assuming it was found in Texas.I was hoping that someone familiar with this area of Texas or especially the Grove Museum could supply any information about the find location,geologic formation or any details that could make for a more enlightening display that this wonderful fossil deserves. Thanks!

Lots of Texas collectors in this forum. Post a picture so they can have a look, who knows, maybe one of them will be able to help you <assuming it's from Texas>.

mammoths were widely distributed in texas. if it has no adhering matrix to it, there's no way at all to tell where it might have come from. even if it does have matrix adhering, the information it would provide would be minimal. your best bet would be to investigate it backwards through contacts with former associates of the museum and hope you can find someone who remembers where it was found.

I would like to see this specimen to compaire I just recently recived a gallon milk jug of Tusk Fragments that need to be assembled.

PUBLICATIONS

Dallas Paleontology Society Occasional Papers Vol. 9 2011

"Pennsylvanian Stratigraphy and Paleoecology of Outcrops in Jacksboro, Texas"

Author

Texas Paleontology Society Feb, 2011

"Index Fossils and You" A primer on how to utilize fossils to assist in relative age dating strata"

Author

Quotes

"Beer, Bacon, and Bivalves!"

"Say NO to illegal fossil buying / selling"

"They belong in a museum."

Education

Associates of Science - 2011

Bachelors of Science (Geology & Biology) - 2012 est.

Looks like your tusk is mentioned here...

http://www.texasesca...eGroveTexas.htm

"My client bought The Grove, Texas downtown, historical, business district in 1972 and has collected more historic artifacts than you can imagine (including a 40,000 year old mammoth tusk and tooth). Everything with the exception of about ten heirloom items convey with the sale."

You might have a chance of getting more information if you can get a copy of the catalog from the auction and get in touch with the people involved.

Edited by darrow

Sorry I have been unable to attach my own personal photo.I am a newbie And don't know what I'm doing wrong. I can tell you that a photo of my tusk is still available at Blujay classifieds under the search "mammoth tusk" along with four other associated pieces.I purchased the 575$ piece.

It looks like a typical piece of Pleistocene Mammuthus tusk that can be found in gravel pits and riverbeds over most of eastern two-thirds of the state, so there's no telling exactly where it came from. I see that the seller is calling it a "woolly mammoth" which would be Mammuthus primigenius but, as far as I know, we never had that animal down here in Texas. It is FAR more likely that your piece is from either the Imperial Mammoth (Mammuthus imperator) or Columbian Mammoth (Mammuthus columbi)...both of which were significantly larger than their cold-adapted cousin.

Hope this helps a little,

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library