Unidentified Marine Fossil

Rockwood

I posted these photos in the ID section a while ago but it was not identified. The tube shapes are in multiple examples of similarly shaped cavities, leading me to believe it’s not a random occurrence. I found them in a glacial deposit near Greenville, ME. The site is most directly in the glacial path of Devonian marine formations, but it more closely resembles Silurian rocks to the east that I have found marine fossils in.

I’ve noticed that the more knowledgeable people are the less they seem to be willing to speculate when asked for an ID. Can anyone offer some more general information about this ? Is it likely to be something quite common that is too incomplete to identify or is there a chance that there is scientific value to it which would warrant someone’s attention ?

post-7417-0-13549700-1324145937_thumb.jpg

post-7417-0-38231200-1324145980_thumb.jpg

The way it looks there it may be a burrow, where the lining more resistant to weathering than the burrow fill and surrounding rock. Not planolites, as they are unlined, whereas these are lined.

Next question is why are they in the hollow spots. Chances are there are more but the ones most visible are those exposed by the hollowed out space.

Interesting : I hadn't considered these. I had always thought of worm tubes as being thiner, less strait, and made of chitin. I found this article on calcareous tubes. The better known examples are too young to be found in Maine. It does mention earlier findings though. Do you suppose this could be significant ?

http://www.eap.ee/public/Estonian_Journal_of_Earth_Sciences/2009/issue_4/earth-2009-4-286-296.pdf