Irish Fossil

Northern Sharks

My wife has a penpal in Ireland who recently found out I was into fossils. He has this one from County Sligo on the northwest coast and asked if I could identify it. The rock itself measures about 6"x8". I checked some sites and my best guess is a cross section of a coral, and possibly narrowing it down to Siphonophyllia. I found a site that states that genus is fairly common in that area. Near as I can figure, the age of that area is lower carboniferous. Any other input is appreciated before I tell him my answer.

post-77-1218909019_thumb.jpg

post-77-1218909038_thumb.jpg

post-77-1218909060_thumb.jpg

post-77-1218909075_thumb.jpg

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

I don't know much about corals, but I did a Google Image search for "Siphonophyllia", and you're certainly on the right track at the very least.

(This is one of the ways I learn from the Forum: someone posts something, and I Google it. My knowledge base may be shallow, but it's getting broader). :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!