Texas

CreekCrawler

Hello, I made a trip to the Texas Red-Beds today and found a few things. I got off the regular beaten paths and found the exposure at knee level on both side of a small tributary off the main river channel. I was dreaming last night of finding some Mosasaur material because in all the trips I have taken there I have come up empty handed.I found this one nice tooth and a very large partial one.Also found a fossilized piece of what I think is bison bone. The ammonite is a treat too. I actually walked right by it on the way up the creek and found it laying perfectly flat in the red zone on the way back out of the creek.Can anyone give me a positive ID on the Ammo.I am book poor and the only one that I see in my Finsley guide book that comes from that area is Trachyscaphites springer.And it really doesn't resemble this one.

The Mosasaur tooth made my trip really worth while for me.

thanks

Bpost-417-1218915186_thumb.jpgpost-417-1218915275_thumb.jpg

The sutures on that ammo are super (likewise the Baculites)! I'm sure someone will be able to ID it.

Nice haul, BTW.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

The sutures on that ammo are super (likewise the Baculites)! I'm sure someone will bw able to ID it.

Nice haul, BTW.

Thanks Auspex, this is the third one that I have found there! And yes the sutures are awesome!And I love the red color. Here are all three of them. I hope to add to the total, and I'm sure I will!post-417-1218925392_thumb.jpg

Yeah buddy, those are nice; really good displayers!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

All Pachydiscus paulsoni - great finds. Now you need to finish out the Red Zone faunal suite with Glyptoxoceras sp., Menabites delawarensis, Trachyscaphites spiniger spiniger, and Placenticeras planum. This ought to keep you busy for a while! Throw in a Eutrephoceras sp. nautiloid and I think you'll have the whole cadre of cephalopods. See if you can pick up McKinzie and McCleod's NSR book off the DPS website to round out your library for this area. It will help you immensely with ID.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

All Pachydiscus paulsoni - great finds. Now you need to finish out the Red Zone faunal suite with Glyptoxoceras sp., Menabites delawarensis, Trachyscaphites spiniger spiniger, and Placenticeras planum. This ought to keep you busy for a while! Throw in a Eutrephoceras sp. nautiloid and I think you'll have the whole cadre of cephalopods. See if you can pick up McKinzie and McCleod's NSR book off the DPS website to round out your library for this area. It will help you immensely with ID.

Thanks Boudreau, I appreciate the info! Hey that rhymes :D I kinda knew it wasn't a Trachyscaphite. It just didn't look right.Yep those high dollar handles that you mentioned will keep me busy for quite a while! Thanks for the positive ID's I really need to get that publication on the NSR.Heck I had so much fun that I think I'll just have to purchase one of those $10,000- $15,000 dollar houses in that area LOL

B

Every time I drive through Ladonia in the dim light of dawn I'd swear that its the most haunted looking town in Texas. Maybe it would make sense to buy one of those houses...that is if you think you can get a good return on your buck when the state buys them all out to flood the town and make an impoundment.

In the meantime continue your cephalopod quest. If I were a betting man I'd put my money on Trachyscaphites as your next find as it seems to be the most common genus found there. It is a heteromorphic ammonite (departs from the perfect flat spiral form demonstrated by most ammonites) and when you find a complete specimen, you'll see that its juvenile whorls begin in the classic spiral form, then the adult whorl forms sort of a J shape toward the aperture. Throw in a bunch of tubercles for character and you have a very eye popping, 3D fossil presentation.

post-22-1218981279_thumb.jpg

post-22-1218981294_thumb.jpg

Grüße,

[i'd put my money on Trachyscaphites as your next find as it seems to be the most common genus found there.

You know I got to thinking"which is a danger in itself" that I had some other ammo material in my NSR box. So, I snapped this pic. These are only sections, but I think the one on the right is a Trach. Now I just have to work a little harder and find a complete one like your fine examples!

thanks

Bpost-417-1218989465_thumb.jpg

post-417-1218989639_thumb.jpgI can't believe that I walked right by this ammo on the way up the creek! You know that old saying!

If it was a snake..... well you know the rest!

Oh ,the in situ shot with the finger attached................ is that copywrited? If so, I guess I owe you some dinero.LOL

You are correct. You have a partial Trachyscaphites on the right and a partial Menabites on the left.

Grüße,

...my NSR box...

Would that be an "ammo can"? :P

... I was dreaming last night of finding some Mosasaur material because in all the trips I have taken there I have come up empty handed.I found this one nice tooth and a very large partial one.Also found a fossilized piece of what I think is bison bone....post-417-1218915275_thumb.jpg

Hey S'keeper, your dreams just became more real...that's not bison, it's a mosasaur vertebra! Pretty good one at that! :D The other piece looks like more reptile material...it's just to worn to tell.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Hey S'keeper, your dreams just became more real...that's not bison, it's a mosasaur vertebra! Pretty good one at that! :D The other piece looks like more reptile material...it's just to worn to tell.

Wow, thanks for the ID. I should have know due to the color of it. You know red as in Red-beds! And I know that bisons don't live under water :P

Hello, I made a trip to the Texas Red-Beds today and found a few things. I got off the regular beaten paths and found the exposure at knee level on both side of a small tributary off the main river channel. I was dreaming last night of finding some Mosasaur material because in all the trips I have taken there I have come up empty handed.I found this one nice tooth and a very large partial one.Also found a fossilized piece of what I think is bison bone. The ammonite is a treat too. I actually walked right by it on the way up the creek and found it laying perfectly flat in the red zone on the way back out of the creek.Can anyone give me a positive ID on the Ammo.I am book poor and the only one that I see in my Finsley guide book that comes from that area is Trachyscaphites springer.And it really doesn't resemble this one.

The Mosasaur tooth made my trip really worth while for me.

thanks

Bpost-417-1218915186_thumb.jpgpost-417-1218915275_thumb.jpg

Nice find again , we met at the river under the canopy , my wife and I talked with you for a few before we departed to the river .

Thanks for the web site info and will give you a shout when we go back to NSR .

Anyways , we trekked down the river found 6 verts and a nice sized Mosasaur tooth , 1" or so and a sharks tooth .

Will post up some pics of the finds we made , again nice vertebrae .

Hunting fossils is fun , but discovering is better !

Nice pics, I too like the red beds but don't just look there, everyone else does, go to some of the other spots along the river and in the creeks feeding it. I have found shark teeth and verts in all of them.

Here is day 1 and day 2 vertebrae finds : Day 1 08_16_08.jpg

Day 2 08_17_08.jpg

Not all are vertebrates .

Look up , look down , look all around , no truer saying .

Hunting fossils is fun , but discovering is better !

Wow y'all did great congrats! I was a pleasure to meet you two.I just wish I would have had more time to chat. I'm glad you joined this forum as there are some real fossil aficionados here.Just post anything you are not sure about and you are almost guaranteed an ID. My neck hurts from carrying that backpack and looking down the whole trip.LOL

take care and hope to see you soon at the NSR

Barry