A Few Hors D'oeurves From Yesterday

Uncle Siphuncle

Sizing up the conditions late Friday I decided that the best gig for Sat would be for me to take John Jackson out again to show him some of my favorite exposures in South Texas. Some of these sites are past their heyday, but they still panned out. Below I've shown a few ticklers to pique your interest until I can get some of the other stuff prepped. In short we bagged probably 125 echinoids of probably 10 species, 6 crab carapaces, crab claw fingers of 2 more species, ammonites of 4 species, and a Squalicorax pristondontus mission half of the root.

Look closely at John's spectacular Trachyscaphites spiniger porchi ammonite from the Pecan Gap formation, perhaps the best I've ever seen come from this now "played out" site. It is far more elegant and ornate than my Pachydiscus travisi also shown. The Dakoticancer australis carapaces from the Corsicana formation can be hard to make out from the in situ shots shown, but if you look closely one is holding a claw out front as if smoking his last cigarette before getting buried alive (actually he probably died in his burrow).

As for the olympics, I'd like to nominate John's Trachyscaphites and possibly one of my Dakoticancers if I can prep them by judgement day.

post-22-1219027423_thumb.jpg

post-22-1219027436_thumb.jpg

post-22-1219027511_thumb.jpg

post-22-1219027585_thumb.jpg

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

...spectacular Trachyscaphites spiniger porchi ammonite from the Pecan Gap formation

Wow! I thought it was a dramatic find yesterday, but you did a fine job of removing more matrix and a great photo! Thanks, Dan. I owe you.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Wow, that Trachy looks like it just got pulled off a museum display! Way to go guys! Dan, your homework on places to hunt never ceases to amaze me!

Can't wait to see the other material after you prep them out.

B

your finds never cease to amaze me Dan! can i come hunt with you?! :P

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

John always finds the better stuff when we hit the field. I may need to plant some B grade stuff for him ahead of time as a diversion.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

One word: DROOL!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!