Bone?

darren1408

Hi,

While visiting some fossil locations, I came across some bone like shape pieces, but I am not sure wether they are flint or just funny shaped rocks.

Although I did find them in rather large rocks.

How can you tell if it is bone or not?

Thank you for your help in advance.

Darren. :D

With most fossil bones you'll see at least some portion of the cancellous (porous) inner bone where the cortical (non porous outer layer) bone has eroded or broken away. When you start seeing larger portions of bones or at least ends of bones, it is possible to make anatomical comparisons with known species and nail down anatomical position of your find due to similarity with other species. However when bones are too worn or fragmented it is often impossible even for experts to tell you much about it other than that it is indeed bone (or not).

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for the great explanation.

I will post a few pics later of what I think could be bone! :D

Thanks again.

Darren.

It looks like a trace fossil to me. In this case, a fossilized burrow of a clam, crab, shrimp or some other creature. I find them sometimes here in Texas. Sometimes they look like bones. The same for your "tooth" post. Yours is a different material than the ones I see. I could be wrong, but that's my 2 cents (or pence in your case :D ).

Ditto the burrow theory.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hi Darren,

I think it's burrow too.

Can I suggest that when posting pictures, you resize them, Large files don't bother me but lots of people find they take too long to open.

Try to always take your pic's with a ruler for scale, or quote the size of the object.

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.

Hi Darren,

I think 1000 pixels is a good MAXIMUM size. Your photo software should have a "format" selection. Click "resize image", alter the largest dimension to 500 or so and select "maintain proportions"

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.

• 2 months later...

As I just said in another post fossil bone will stick to your tunge when you just touch the tip of your tounge to the peice in question, you will feel it sort of sticking as you pull the bone ?? away, try it this resly works

OK Grandpa Dino, I must admit that I thought that you were crazy about sticking you tongue to fossilized bone, so I had to try it. I used some mosasaur verts that I had on table and you are right. I also tried some other things to test, just the bone stuck. Who would have thought it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whooey. I don't think I want to try that with fossil bone out of the Chesapeake Bay. If it tastes anything like it occasionally smells after soaking in filtered water for a couple of days, that would definitely be a low point. Also, I had a piece sitting on the table one day and observed little worms of some sort working their way out of some of the pores.

Of course bone out of the Bay is usually pretty easy to identify visually.

Carpe Diem, Carpe Somnium

OK Grandpa Dino, I must admit that I thought that you were crazy about sticking you tongue to fossilized bone, so I had to try it. I used some mosasaur verts that I had on table and you are right. I also tried some other things to test, just the bone stuck. Who would have thought it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's a good reason for useing a beer to wash your mouth out with after the test and you seem to reconize fossils a lot faster just so you don't go home with dirt on your face and have to try to explain to your wife what you were doing.