Are Any Of These Anything?

darren1408

Hi,

I have picked up many things when I went looking for fossils the other day, and found some ammonites!

Also I picked up these bits and wondered roughly what they are. - They were collected along the dorset coast UK.

Here are the images:

post-690-1219072858_thumb.jpg

post-690-1219073195_thumb.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------

post-690-1219073223_thumb.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------

post-690-1219073298_thumb.jpg

1= a stone

2, 3, 4= shell casts

5= "something"

(If you'll reduce the size of your pics, more people will be able to download them and offer their opinions).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hi Auspex,

Thank you for the info.

Sorry about the pics, what would be the best way of doing so on a Mac? and what size of pic do you recomend?

Thanks again.

Darren.

Darren,

Re-resizing,

See your "bone, how to tell" post. I answered this there. Also, lightly brush all loose material off your fossils before photographing, to show as much detail as possible.

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.

Hi Bill,

Thank you for the information.

I will make sure I do that from now on.

Is a toothbrush a good way of getting rid of dirt on a fossil? can you use water?

Thank you.

Darren.

Yes. If the matrix is crumbly it may destroy the fossil, if you brush it away. Take it easy if you want to remove the fossil from the matrix. If it looks like the fossil will break, coat the fossil with PVA, varnish or something. Once dry carefully remove the matrix. A light going over with a toothbrush will be safe on most fossils.

It is best to try on c**p specimens, in different matrix first, to see what happens and how hard/light you can go without causing damage.

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.

If I found #5 in the rock in my area, my first thought would be that it was part of a straight-shell nautiloid/cephalopod, but I don't know what kind of rock this is.