Need Help With A Few Things

Stevie Ray

Any idea as to what this might be? I was told it was part of an ancient sea plant. Is that corect?

post-73-1192766061_thumb.jpg

post-73-1192766068_thumb.jpg

Any idea on these? They feel as if they are sandstone and look like bone.

post-73-1192766154_thumb.jpg

Is this part of a worm of some kind?

post-73-1192766210_thumb.jpg

Thanks in advance.

"Welcome back my friends, to the show that never ends"

Well, 16 looks but no replies. Doesn't anyone have any ideas as to what those may be?

HI! I THINK THE FIRST PICTURE LOOKS VERY "ARTIFICIAL" (IT SEEMS TO BE PART OF SOME KIND OF MAN MADE OBJECT....); THE SECOND ONE,MAY BE DENTALIUM, MAY BEWORM BORROWS,MAY BE SOME KIND OF GASTEROPOD.....THE LAST ONE IS THE EASIEST ONE: IT`S A CEPHALOPOD! NOT ACRINOID STEM BECAUSE IS HOLLOW! NEVERTHELESS, IF YOU CAN GIVE US SOME CLUES OF LOCATION, ERA, AND SIZE, WILL BE EASIER (EVEN THEN, WE MAY BE WRONG!). :cool:

MOROPUS, thanks for your reply. These are all from Scioto county in southern Ohio along the Ohio River.

The first piece, the one you say looks man made, is about 12 inches long and about the size of a mans forearm. It is stone and has what looks like "veins" or "vines" running along the sides of it and a groove along the back. I had thought it might be petrified wood, but a guy that looked at for me told me it was part of an ancient sea plant. He named the plant, but I can't remember what he said.

The middle three pieces are from left to right, 12 inches long, 5 inches long, and 4 inches long and all are about the size of a .50 piece in diameter. They feel like sandstone, are real grainy, and look like bones.

The last piece is about 3 inches long and is flat, maybe between a 1/4" to 1/2" thick.

Thanks for your help.

• 1 month later...