Captain Morgan Of The Cliffs

Metopocetus

A picture of my boss and I (I'm on the left) working on some fossils in the cliffs. Had to do a Captain Morgan stance for the camera.

That would be your boss at the Calvert Marine Museum?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

So what's in the treasure cave, Captain?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

There was a whale skull in the hole, now it is on display in the prep lab at the museum getting cleaned up.

There was a whale skull in the hole, now it is on display in the prep lab at the museum getting cleaned up.

WHERE ARE THE PICTURES?!? <_<

WHERE ARE THE PICTURES?!? <_<

Eventually...hopefully not 6 years though :P. Just kidding, I love what you did with the prepping of the Xiphactinus. Probably a few months from now I can post some nice pictures.

So how was the whale skull discovered so high on the cliff?

It was after a storm that brought down a small slump. I actually found a piece of the humerus on the beach, looked up and saw bone exposed on the cliff face. It is about 25 feet up in the cliffs...rough carrying 32' and 40' extension ladders down the beach.

It's odd to see Stephen out in the field without Yasmin, so I'm guessing she's behind the camera or on her Poland trip? One of these days I'm going to catch up with you guys so I can see the proper way to apply a plaster jacket.

It's odd to see Stephen out in the field without Yasmin, so I'm guessing she's behind the camera or on her Poland trip? One of these days I'm going to catch up with you guys so I can see the proper way to apply a plaster jacket.

She was working in the office that day. One of our volunteers took the picture. I thought that was you (PaleoRon) when I saw your beaked whale in the members collections area.

Eventually...hopefully not 6 years though :P. Just kidding, I love what you did with the prepping of the Xiphactinus. Probably a few months from now I can post some nice pictures.

Sounds good! (I was just teasing)

I hope it doesn't take you 6 years too! :)

hey i did see you coming from the prep room, you walked right past us

Yep I was all around that day.

• 1 month later...

Yes, the front of the skull is nowhere to be found. It probably never fossilized, it was probably chewed on by the sharks that chewed on it's right side.

Guest bmorefossil
Yes, the front of the skull is nowhere to be found. It probably never fossilized, it was probably chewed on by the sharks that chewed on it's right side.

dang that sucks

There were 11 Makos, I think 3 were over 2"...and around 17 tiger shark teeth. They were almost all concentrated in the area where the right ribs would have been. They really chewed into that side of the animal.

Guest bmorefossil
There were 11 Makos, I think 3 were over 2"...and around 17 tiger shark teeth. They were almost all concentrated in the area where the right ribs would have been. They really chewed into that side of the animal.

now see thats what i want to find when i look in my blocks lol, very cool