Denton Echinoids

MikeD

I went to the Fort Worth area last Saturday for the Dallas Paleo field trip to Oliver Creek. Got to meet Lance Hall and Mike Murphy. Mike had his Fossil Forum T-shirt on. After Oliver Creek, some of us went to Denton where there was a huge construction site. Found some cool stuff and picked up some of Lance's cast offs as I did not have specimens of any of the stuff there. I did take a few in situ pics. This is not a good specimen, but I found it interesting as I have never seen an echinoid preserved which appeared to be hollow. It is smashed and you can see both sides of the shell. Thought you echinoid guys might like it. It was found at the bottom of a pit in the Mainstreet Limestone. It may have slid down from the Grayson above.

post-534-1219280964_thumb.jpg

Of course I looked at the pictures before I read and thought to myself "wow it looks like it was hollow" Even being flat I think that is a very neat find.

I gave Mike a few partially squashed Pseudananchys echinoids since I already had similarly squashed ones from the previous trip. They are kinda hard to find so a squashed is better than none. ;)

That one in the picture appears to be a Holectypus type echinoid. It looks like it's mostly there, just needs glue and some support in the middle. Mike, did you leave that behind or put in your bag?

I found a pretty cool but also somewhat squashed Pedinopsis echinoid, a first for me.

Picture of the site:

post-11-1219446473_thumb.jpg

Sounds like a great trip. I read a post from another site with a bunch of photos and it seemed like a lot of nice stuff found. Sorry I had to miss it. work............

I did get to hunt with your buddy the other night, Owen, (Oh-man). FD came out with us and we sloshed around the mud for a while finding a few sharks teeth.

I gave Mike a few partially squashed Pseudananchys echinoids since I already had similarly squashed ones from the previous trip. They are kinda hard to find so a squashed is better than none. ;)

That one in the picture appears to be a Holectypus type echinoid. It looks like it's mostly there, just needs glue and some support in the middle. Mike, did you leave that behind or put in your bag?

I found a pretty cool but also somewhat squashed Pedinopsis echinoid, a first for me.

It looked like a puzzle challenge, so I picked it up in my shirt. I did manage to drop it once while climbing back up the hill. I think I got most of it picked back up though since it landed on my foot and in the foothold I was in. Luckily about half was still stuck to the dirt. I should have gone back up first for a ziploc.

I did find a couple more squashed Pseudananchys. Now I have to find a good one. I'll have to get a picture of the one Owen found. Was his ID of Coenholectypus castilloi correct?

Sounds like a great trip. I read a post from another site with a bunch of photos and it seemed like a lot of nice stuff found. Sorry I had to miss it. work............

I did get to hunt with your buddy the other night, Owen, (Oh-man). FD came out with us and we sloshed around the mud for a while finding a few sharks teeth.

He said you guys found some decent teeth. Two road trips to DFW in three days. That's some serious mileage. Maybe next time.

He said you guys found some decent teeth. Two road trips to DFW in three days. That's some serious mileage. Maybe next time.

Wasnt the best hunt ever, only had time to hit the first spot. The sun dropped too fast and he had a long drive home. Your right, tons of miles, but I think his second trip was for work. Or so he said :P

We missed that Oliver Creek hunt , our other Club members went and called us and said it was a mad house out there , so we went to NSR , go figure .

Nice Echinoid .

Hunting fossils is fun , but discovering is better !

Yes, the Oliver Creek was VERY crowded. I would not have invited other groups to join, it should be a Dallas Paleo Society only thing IMO.

I've posted more pics at the North Texas Fossil Forum (click)

We missed that Oliver Creek hunt , our other Club members went and called us and said it was a mad house out there , so we went to NSR , go figure .

Nice Echinoid .

Can anyone guess who is wearing the FossilForum shirt?

post-11-1219445996_thumb.jpg

Is that "Murph"? What a dashing young man!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I can see myself in that picture.

That was the largest group I have seen on a trip. Somebody counted over 100 people. It was interesting to see that many people looking for fossils at the same time, but i would have to agree that it was a bit crowded. Any idea how many "out of towners" there were vs. DPS people? I saw at least 8 from Houston. I'm sure there were more. Talked to a few from Austin.

Yes, the Oliver Creek was VERY crowded. I would not have invited other groups to join, it should be a Dallas Paleo Society only thing IMO.

Oh my God , glad we did not make that one !

Hunting fossils is fun , but discovering is better !

I think NSR had the right idea - let all the competition converge in one spot, then go the opposite direction. Oliver Creek was my first DPS trip 5 years ago. It was pretty fun but crowded even then with some 50 people - sort of a stampede. I was afraid of getting trampled like at the The Who concert in Cincinnati in December 1979 (11 dead). Everyone found stuff, but it was sort of a race and I'm more wired to work slowly and methodically without distractions. It is a very family friendly site though, suitable for little kids and such. We took my son when he was 1. He threw down his milk bottle and it landed on an Oxytropidoceras ammonite.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

We took my son when he was 1. He threw down his milk bottle and it landed on an Oxytropidoceras ammonite.

THat just proves that he is a natural fossil hunter.