Chert Quarry Possible Telson From Shrimp ?

ckmerlin

Im not sure what this is but looks like Shrimp Telson impression , but could be anything from fish material to plant ( although very unlikely to be plant as this a marine sediment from the marine bed)

Mid carboniferous

post-6560-0-29774900-1326728970_thumb.jpg

post-6560-0-73499300-1326729069_thumb.jpg

"A man who stares at a rock must have a lot on his mind... or nothing at all'

Shrimp telson .... ie phyllocarid is generally 3 prongs and triangular wedge shaped... from the pics, I don't think it is a shrimp telson.... mind you I have only seen phyllocarids up to Silurian period and nothiing beyond that time period.....

Phyllocarids are still extant (about 25 species) and fossil taxa younger than silurian actually exist (e.g., Nahecaris in the lower devonian, Ceratiocaris until the permian). However, I don't think that this specimen is a part of a phyllocarid.

araucaria1959

There appears to be faint segmentation. Could it be a tiny orthocone?

Context is critical.

There appears to be faint segmentation. Could it be a tiny orthocone?

I agree - perhaps retake the first photo with low angle light from one end?

Edited by TqB

Tarquin      image.png.b7b2dcb2ffdfe5c07423473150a7ac94.png  image.png.4828a96949a85749ee3c434f73975378.png  image.png.6354171cc9e762c1cfd2bf647445c36f.png  image.png.06d7471ec1c14daf7e161f6f50d5d717.png

How far back do Belemnites go? Pic looks a bit like some Jurassic ones I've seen on slabs.

Shrimp telson .... ie phyllocarid is generally 3 prongs and triangular wedge shaped... from the pics, I don't think it is a shrimp telson.... mind you I have only seen phyllocarids up to Silurian period and nothiing beyond that time period.....

Also, just as a side note: Phyllocarids are not shrimp. They are a bivalved arthropod superficially similar in some ways to shrimp.

-PzF

Hi all thanks for replies , Im going to take some better close up photos in the daylight when I am off, perhaps in the morning

please bear with me if you dont see any until end of week though as Im doing a lot of overtime at work this week

its more of an Impression of something than actual whatever it was :)

"A man who stares at a rock must have a lot on his mind... or nothing at all'

Also, just as a side note: Phyllocarids are not shrimp. They are a bivalved arthropod superficially similar in some ways to shrimp.

-PzF

Thanks PzF for the clarification.