Kentucky Shark Teeth.

PaleoRon

About a month ago, after visiting relatives in Tenessee, I did a little trip to Kentucky to collect geodes and invertebrate fossils. Unfortunately all of the creeks were flooded and two of my favorite quarries were destroyed during road widening. One of the quarries I like to collect was still intact so I spent a few minutes looking around. I managed to find a few crusher type shark teeth but they were all in blocks of limestone the size of small cars. And of course they weren't on the edges of the blocks but in the middle of them. Since I didn't have the diamond saws or explosives necessary to reduce the blocks I decided to do some catch and release fossiling. I had to leave the fossils but at least I got some decent pics. Besides the teeth I also found an interesting horn coral cross section. My favorite find from this quarry was a near complete Petalodus. I still have that tooth, but I have no idea which storage box it is in.

post-210-1219434778_thumb.jpg

post-210-1219434765_thumb.jpg

post-210-1219434755_thumb.jpg

post-210-1219434719_thumb.jpg

post-210-1219434740_thumb.jpg

post-210-1219434727_thumb.jpg

The horn coral X-section is uncommonly attractive; too bad you couldn't collect it!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I love those Petalodus teeth. I have found a few incomplete

parts. I notice they all have that pitted looking area on them.

Never could figure out why. Do you happen to know?

Welcome to the forum!

...I notice they all have that pitted looking area on them.

Never could figure out why. Do you happen to know?

Since their teeth are a crushing pavement, it could be feeding wear, or even the dentine equivilent of tire treads.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

nice stuff...heres one of my horn coral cross sections, i found this by accident when cutting up a block of matrix to make a clam on top smaller, its pretty nice looking! what age are those teeth?

post-142-1219454116_thumb.jpg

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

nice stuff...heres one of my horn coral cross sections, i found this by accident when cutting up a block of matrix to make a clam on top smaller, its pretty nice looking! what age are those teeth?

That's a real dense block of "hash"; I caught myself searching it pretty hard...

That's a real dense block of "hash"; I caught myself searching it pretty hard...

yeah its pretty neat. Its Odivicion shale, but its very very fossiliferous. When i saw what it looked like when i cut it i cut lots more bits because some of the cross sections were beautiful. The bryazoan especially. If you want i can get some closer pics for you....?

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

The limestone in the quarry is Carboniferous. There are also crinoid stems and brachiopods in the quarry. It's not as prolific as some I have collected, but it can produce some nice stuff.

Guest N.AL.hunter

PaleoRon,

I have the same problem with Mississippian/Pennsylvanian teeth around here. While I do find the ocassional one weathered out or in a small piece of matrix, by far the majority of them seem to be right in the middle of boulders. I believe it is a joke Mother Nature likes to pull on us.