Please Help Id These Marks

megadread

• New Members

Hi there everyone.

I was wondering, could any of you helpful people identify these markings on one of the Avebury stone circle stones for me please.

Thanks in advance.

post-735-1220026674_thumb.jpg

Guest solius symbiosus

They look like differential weathering patterns due to different mineral compositions. Probably the "indentations" are fossils shells that weathered quicker than the surrounding matrix, but IDK. Can you get a few close ups of the patterns?

• New Members
They look like differential weathering patterns due to different mineral compositions. Probably the "indentations" are fossils shells that weathered quicker than the surrounding matrix, but IDK. Can you get a few close ups of the patterns?

Not really, i live in Sheffield, the picture was taken by a friend who visited recently.

The main reason for asking is that some people seem to think the marks may be man made, or that the stone was incorporated into the circle because of the markings.

Thanks for the info anyway.

Obviously one can only guess - but the markings appear to me to be man-made, and almost as if the stone were used as a backing or hammering block for some other function. It is my understanding that the stones are in proximity to where farmers have lived for centuries and that many of the stones have been destroyed to get them out of the way or to use them for building material, etc. It therefore seems possible that someone used the hard, immobile side of a stone for a hammering anvil of sorts while doing some work. I say that because the marks look relatively random and somewhat like some workbench blocks I've used after some time.

Take a look at the left wall of the depression/cavity (lower left in the pic); the pattern of marks is exposed in cross section. I think this indicates weathering-out of soluable material, probably fossil shells.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

yeah, that's what I said. it's like a little workbench where they were hammering weathered shells out of it...wiley ancestors...