Scientific Name Pronunciations

Taffie

The key is simply to say it like you know it.

Too true!

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

same with Hardouinia micrococcus...

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

First you have to decide which Latin "dialect" you want to use: :zzzzscratchchin:

CLASSICAL LATIN is a re-creation of how Latin was more-or-less spoken among educated people in the late Republic (e.g. Cicero). It is by far the most dominant among scholars. The parts most surprising to an American would be that all C's and G's are hard (thus, CICERO sounds like "kee-ke-ro"), V is like "w", the vowels have their continental values (as in Italian or Spanish), while AE is like the 'ai' in "aisle" and OE like the 'oi' in "oil."

ECCLESIASTICAL or Italiate. Basically, Latin pronounced as if it was Italian. C and G are soft (ch and j, respectively) before E and I, V is like "v", AE and OE like "ay." CICERO sounds like "chee-che-ro". This system reflects the sound changes starting from the second and third centuries and of the three this most resembles the historical pronunciation of Christians writing in Latin. It is still heard when Latin is spoken in Roman Catholic churches and in Mel Gibson's movie.

ANGLO-NORMAN LATIN. This is the pronunciation of Latin used by most Americans. Anglo Norman Latin was affected by the Great Vowel Shift in English and is basically pronounced as if it were English. C and G are soft (as s and j, respectively) before E and I, V is like "v", AE and OE like "ee." CICERO sounds like "sih-se-ro".

And many scientific names are just terrible mixtures made up out of Latin and Greek...

Edited by oilshale

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

Thank you, 'oilshale', for that interesting exposition.

I think that Anglo-Norman Latin pronunciation is going to be most useful here. There is usually a way to pronounce any Linnean name so that it comes trippingly off the tongue, regardless of the original language providing the words.

Greek and Latin stem words, as well as prefixes and suffixes, are not unfamiliar to those with some scientific literacy. Often, pronouncable human surnames may be recognized within the Linnean name (Hardouin in Hardouinia).

Where I have difficulty is languages with which I am totally unfamiliar - such as Mandarin or Japanese or many others. Several example may be found among the rodents of the USA Oligocene:

Meliakrouniomys wilsoni

Adjidaumo minutus

Now, I have no problem with Palaeolagus haydeni, but Paradjidaumo trilophus is hard to wrap my tongue around. I suspect the stem words in those three problem genera are from the Sioux (or whatever language the Sioux speak).

Edited by Harry Pristis

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Yes, thanks oilshale. I knew a certain amount of this, eg the original Latin pron., but but you have made a good guide.

I don't think it matters how you pronounce the names because most people aren't ever going to get a handle on the Original pronunciation not just of Latin but of all the other languages that the root of names come from - as long as they are understood by those around you, and as long as they are spelled right. I can usually deduce the pronunciation if I can tell what language the root comes from (japanese is usually pretty easy, as are certain other familiar languages - Pseudoschloenbachia = Pseudo+German name Schloenbach) but the worst thing is not knowing where to put the stress. Inoceramus: InoCERamus or InocerAMus? For the ammonites that end in -oceras, the habit around here is to put the stress on the O. (-OSSeras) I dont know if that's correct but it sounds pleasant.

I don't think it matters how you pronounce the names because most people aren't ever going to get a handle on the Original pronunciation not just of Latin but of all the other languages that the root of names come from - as long as they are understood by those around you, and as long as they are spelled right. I can usually deduce the pronunciation if I can tell what language the root comes from (japanese is usually pretty easy, as are certain other familiar languages - Pseudoschloenbachia = Pseudo+German name Schloenbach) but the worst thing is not knowing where to put the stress. Inoceramus: InoCERamus or InocerAMus? For the ammonites that end in -oceras, the habit around here is to put the stress on the O. (-OSSeras) I dont know if that's correct but it sounds pleasant.

That's exactly what I indirectly wanted to say:

Don't worry too much about the "correct" pronunciation - we just use Latin as a tool and not for the sake of it. Latin is ok for many people and at least it is a "neutral" language -everybody has to struggle with it!

By the way: In school I had to start with Latin as a foreign language (I just hated it) and English was my third language. Now it is the other way round, I almost completely forgot Latin and the most important foreign language for me is English (even if I am not good in it).

But sometimes it is still fun trying to find out what the Latin name really means....

Thomas

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

Could be worse; how 'bout Klingon? :o

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Usually, I find that I never have to actually say any of these names out loud. No one that I see in person or talk to on the phone would have any idea what I was talking about anyway.

When I read the names, I sort of 'pronounce' them in my mind, but they come out something like "Sheehblahbuhblurb sheeblookski".

If I did stumble over a pronunciation, I may substitute with a descriptive term:

"That Asaphus koala.... kowenki....koh.... Asaphus with the pointy eyes, is pretty cool."

Or I may go with a defunct name:

"The Pennsylvanian eurypterid Adeleothol.... Adolpho.... Adloph.... Lepidoderma is most commonly found."

And finally, you can fish for a correct pronunciation by misspeaking it in a crowd of fellow fossil geeks, as someone will want to be the smartest person in the room:

Me: "The most common trilobite of the Pennsylvanian is Deuteronony."

Them: "Um, I think you mean 'Ditomopyge'."

Me: "Thank you."

Context is critical.

I only speak 2 languages fluently, English and Southern. I plod along in Latin and just nod when someone corrects me to their version of the language.

Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinis alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes!

:Bananasaur:

Thanks everyone, great thread I thought. Enjoyed all the comments. So glad that you guys aren't too worried about pronunciations. Hope you all have a good night.

Hi,

I am not sure that the pronunciation of the Latin names is most great difficulty in conversations with foreigners. In the doubt, we can always write it, and each pronounces it with the imperatives of the own language.

In France, I think that the biggest problem of pronunciation (and thus of understanding) Latin names comes from the "ch" which doesn't pronounce "ch", but "k" ! A lot of french people don't know that. For example, Bronchiosaurus is pronounced bronKiosaurus.

In my life, I learnt the Latin only 2 months, and I found that very complicated (while my country is of Latin origin !). English is and will stay my 2nd language! It is easier... :)

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Pareidolia : here

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

I have heard this consistently pronounced: gal-ee-oh-SAIR-doh my-oom-BEN-sis.

Galeocerdo mayumbensis......is there some where online that can help with pronouncing scientific names?

Harry,

Of course, one of the classic apparent tongue-twisters among mammal genera is Ekgmowechashala, the mystery mammal of the Late Oligocene-Early Miocene of South Dakota and Oregon (once considered a late-surviving primate; later deemed an equally relict dermopteran). The name is based on an approximation of what the Lakota Sioux would call a tarsier-like primate one had survived into modern times in the Dakotas. I was told the name is pronounced "ig-mo-weck-uh-SHAY-la" and that it means "little cat man."

Thank you, 'oilshale', for that interesting exposition.

Now, I have no problem with Palaeolagus haydeni, but Paradjidaumo trilophus is hard to wrap my tongue around. I suspect the stem words in those three problem genera are from the Sioux (or whatever language the Sioux speak).

Yes, the primary and secondary stresses are hard to figure in long names. For shark tooth collectors there is sometimes a question about the species, megalodon. Some people want to say "meg-AL-oh-don" though the pronunciation is "MEG-uh-loh-don" using "megalomaniac" as a form to follow. Unstressed syllables tend to get reduced so it is usually run together so that the "loh" syllable sounds more like "luh." Some people think the first pronunciation has a better to ring to it so they stick with it. As long as it's close, collectors and researchers will understand each other.

I have also been interested in the derivations of the names which tend to be given rather irregularly even in technical articles (provided in official descriptions, of course). Years ago, I picked up a book on word origins to help with that. It's "Dictionary of Word Roots and Combining Forms" by Donald J. Borror. I thought I was the only one interested in that until another friend happened to ask me if I knew about that particular book and had seen it for sale.

I can usually deduce the pronunciation if I can tell what language the root comes from (japanese is usually pretty easy, as are certain other familiar languages - Pseudoschloenbachia = Pseudo+German name Schloenbach) but the worst thing is not knowing where to put the stress. Inoceramus: InoCERamus or InocerAMus? For the ammonites that end in -oceras, the habit around here is to put the stress on the O. (-OSSeras) I dont know if that's correct but it sounds pleasant.

A Paleontologist once told me that pronunciation was not important but spelling was.

Jim

The Eocene is my favorite

. . .

I have also been interested in the derivations of the names which tend to be given rather irregularly even in technical articles (provided in official descriptions, of course). Years ago, I picked up a book on word origins to help with that. It's "Dictionary of Word Roots and Combining Forms" by Donald J. Borror. I thought I was the only one interested in that until another friend happened to ask me if I knew about that particular book and had seen it for sale.

I use the same book, Jess. In fact, it is the book I keep closest to hand as I sit at my 'puter. Mine is the eleventh printing, 1971, and I've had it for most of the time since 1971. It has been very useful, and I recommend it to anyone interested in taxonomy. Unhappily, it cantains no Sioux words. :rolleyes:

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

You say 'tom ay toe', I say tom ah toe. I say 'po tay toe' but no one it seems says 'po tah toe'.

I would imagine, in the early latin speaking regions, different dialects/accents, abounded, and probably still do from teacher to teacher, country to country.

Edited by Bill

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.

regarding ammonite genera terminating in -ceras, i posit this example of similar pronunciation...rhi-NAH-cer-as or rhi-no-SAIR-as???

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

regarding ammonite genera terminating in -ceras, i posit this example of similar pronunciation...rhi-NAH-cer-as or rhi-no-SAIR-as???

Yes but are these not both the result of a non-Latin speaker interpreting the pronunciation?