Pennsylvanian Amphibian Tracks

Archimedes

The Sweetgum strip mine in Fayette Co., Alabama stopped digging for coal this weekend, for the Holiday, they normally dig 24/7, and with the rains last week gave us a great opportunity to collect Pennsylvanian fossils. The Picture is an amphibian trackway, notice the front paw track type and the longer back paw type, also collected were a couple of types of amphibian trackways, horseshoe crab trackway as well as a 3 inch horseshoe crab, still have to dig the end of his tail out, millipede trackway, ferns, and tree casts.

post-385-1220239235_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

thats awesome! got any pictures of the location?

you got lucky to get in there, i would love to see pics of the horseshoe crab? once youve dug his tail out!

thanks for posting

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Wonderful stuff: please post it all!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Wonderful stuff: please post it all!

Wished I had time to post more, after I serviced and move the track loader, went collecting again for tracks before the holiday was over, had to go back to work after some time off, and the big list .... the honey do list, leaves little time.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, Archimedes. I went on the same trip with him - i found a lot of nice trackways. On the last trip to the mine we got a giant tree stump that we flipped a coin for - i won!

• I found this Informative 1

I like crinoids......