Which Type Of Wader?

ncjack99

I'm thinking about a trip to Green Mill Run in Greenville, NC next weekend. The water is bound to be cold even with the warmer temperatures we've been having so would you go with knee waders, hip waders or chest waders? I'm not sure what the current average depth is either, so I want make sure my shorts/pants stay dry....lol

I have chest ones that have straps for shoulders. If it is too hot I tend to let straps hang off (not up on shoulders) Better safe than sorry last time I went there was deep water off 5th park and Elm too. I would think that if you have chest ones you can get into anywhere more than likely where as if you have knee ones you can only get in up to that point... Jeff/Tarheel

I may get out there tommorrow ask me when I make a trip report how the water was or I will try to rem to update here :)

Edited by Tarheel59

Be careful wearing waders around deep water that can hold more of it than you can lift. Just sayin'...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Be careful wearing waders around deep water that can hold more of it than you can lift. Just sayin'...

:o hadn't thought of that!

Hahaha nice one Chas, Picture in my mind of me or anyone with chest wader on full of water. The consolation to me is that the waters there do not get over your head at least not that I have seen. Though I have had high mud boots fill with water and have to dump often. :) :) Jeff/Tarheel

Also art of it is to not freak out. Shoulder strap are easy to slide off. Especially the pair I have hand-me-downs they are so big on me that easy enough to get out of quick lol

Edited by Tarheel59

In the absence of a strong current, flooded waders can't drown you (the specific gravity of water, after all, is 1), but climbing out in them can be a challenge, especially if you have to negotiate a bank.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

You forget all the fossils in the waders too, they can drown you :P

Yeah I forgot about all the bone and stuff I pack in the little pocket at the top of the waders. Seems heavy when its near full. :) :)

ncjack I did not go out today wind was terrible here I will get there in a few days if not tommorrow. Jeff/Tarheel

I live right next to GMR and hunt it often. For the vast majority of the creek you can go with hip waders. I used hip waders for the first two years and just this winter I got some chest waders. When it is a bit warmer I don't wear waders at all.

Thanks for all the input. Hopefully the creek will be warm enough for just surf shoes and shorts. Probably not.......

Hey Jack! I use Neoprene chest waders every time I dig GMR. They work great and arent' that expensive...

Check out the link below... http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4039312

Only problem is using them when it's warm outside... you may want to have a lightweight set just for keeping the crud in GMR out of your cracks... :zzzzscratchchin:

History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.

~Sir Winston Churchill

I have both hip and chest waders. I generally use hips where possible, as I feel they are more likely to keep me out of a spot that I really don't need to be. Much like a truck with 4wd, go in two wheel drive until you get stuck, then put in 4wd drive to get out,and then go back home.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

Storms??? Not good.....

Today? Yes. You're not going today. GMR rises very fast during good rains.

From the way GMR looked after Hurricaine Irene, I would stay away during the storm. The fence on the bridge over GMR near the ball fields had debris washed onto it even at the top!

Gmr was definitly a no go today, but I did score a nice giant thresher in Aurora, NC

Jack I went down there Friday and it was ok water not bad (not cold) but not sure if I would brave it without waders... Water was not high either.... Debri is slowly making its way down creek too. I found a few things not a great day but greater than sitting around the house. I will post in trips soon, have posted a couple in ID page... Jeff/Tarheel

Neoprene is great when the weather or water is cold. 40-50 but you will cook in them when it's warm. Don't forget a wading belt if you use chest wader's to keep water from coming in at the top.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

• 2 weeks later...

I use 2 different stocking foot chestwaders. You can save $40 over the boot type, which comes to $80 with 2 pair.

For GMR I use the thick neoprene for cold water - examples (not mine which is 20 years old now)::

http://www.sears.com...r=1332341101858

http://www.dicksspor...300#showReviews

I've been in the water with these breaking thin Ice as I waded and didn't get cold, with long underwear & wool socks on.

And for warmer but still cool water, a light weight stocking foot chestwader.

I have a pair of old cheap oversize running shoes, thick soles, that I wear over them - works good and I don't have to worry about a puncture of the boot type waders ruining them.

Edited by Heem

even in the winter at GMR I just use standard insulated waders. Nothing neoprene or fancy. The water there never gets that cold as long as you don't have holes in them.

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022